UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Which handling mod next?

Old 06-19-2011, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which handling mod next?

Having now got the suspension polybushed and geo'd, the car handles better than it has since I bought it.

The question was a given - I was going to get wheels, then a BBK, then suspension.

I've been wondering about the economics of getting a BBK, and I'm considering the Dixcel carbon discs and complimentary pads - these would fit under the standard wheels - so the increase in wheel size is now purely for traction. I think I'll probably want to be running 17's once I have an SC, but until then -

Which would have the greater benefit on the handling - New wheels and tyres, or new suspension?

Being as the budget would roughly the same for both, I can't really make my mind up! I know wheels would make it look better, but if suspension will have a greater affect on the handling then I'd rather do that..

*edited* because I realised I had started the thread title with "So" - which I hate!
Old 06-19-2011, 01:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coilovers
Old 06-19-2011, 01:40 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Tyres > shocks in terms of pure grip, but for handling real roads rather than tracks, then I'd say suspension.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you want a handling mod and your options are wheels, tires, or coilovers, I would do tires, coilovers, then wheels.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:21 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

There's no way i'd be getting a BBK on a road car - the Dixcels are very powerful and you will never get them to fade imo.

Tyres won't do anything for handling, but will give more grip if you go for something sticky.

Coilovers will improve handling.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:11 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Remember if you go for coilies that you'll need to budget for bumpsteer kits and driveshaft spacers if your gonna have a good drop.

You don't NEED them, but it'll help you keep your geo in check after the drop.

I didn't have them at the time I fitted my coilies, and the car handled noticeably worse!
Old 06-20-2011, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuhsi
if you want a handling mod and your options are wheels, tires, or coilovers, I would do tires, coilovers, then wheels.
It would be Wheels + Tyres at the same time

Originally Posted by MB
There's no way i'd be getting a BBK on a road car - the Dixcels are very powerful and you will never get them to fade imo.
Why no way on a road car MB?
Does the opinion change if I say that the car does get tracked - and now it's purely a weekend toy, it's probably going to go to some sprints / hill climbs? (not until this first round of changes is finished, mind)

Originally Posted by TangoVTEC
Remember if you go for coilies that you'll need to budget for bumpsteer kits and driveshaft spacers if your gonna have a good drop.

You don't NEED them, but it'll help you keep your geo in check after the drop.

I didn't have them at the time I fitted my coilies, and the car handled noticeably worse!
Good point Tango. Not fussed about a big drop, it's for go rather than show - somewhere aroudn 30mm. I have read in a couple of places that the above are only really needed if going for a drop of 35mm+?
Old 06-20-2011, 01:03 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I still don't think a BBK is required. I used to think it would be needed until I went for Dixcels - they lock stanadrd road tryes up with ease, and need at least a semi slick to get the best from them. Note that tyres play a massive part in braking. I've tracked my S at some pretty tough braking circuits and they have never let me down.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:39 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I'd say a 25mm drop is max for the shit roads around here, if you wanna keep the wheel arcs sensible.

I take it you've done the chassis braces? They're a sine non quod.

The 17" wheels & tyres do change the character of the car somewhat; contemporary tests suggested the car lapped rather quicker with the bigger wheels and I'd confirm that's likely. Partly, because it's a lot easier to drive on the limit. Whether that's a good or bad thing, is a matter of conjecture.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by keith2.2
Having now got the suspension polybushed and geo'd, the car handles better than it has since I bought it.

Which would have the greater benefit on the handling - New wheels and tyres, or new suspension?

Being as the budget would roughly the same for both, I can't really make my mind up! I know wheels would make it look better, but if suspension will have a greater affect on the handling then I'd rather do that..
What aspect of the handling that you have at present do you want to improve upon?

Otherwise its a pretty big question.

Quick Reply: Which handling mod next?