UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Handling

Old 08-18-2008, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paper Lawyer,Aug 18 2008, 10:21 AM
Care to explain your logic?

It is a wonderful handling car.

Are you as good a driver as you think you are?

I have had a few of sideways moments in the S and all of them have been down to my 'dumbass' - never the fault of the car.

MarkB correctly mentioned that the car is sensitive to tyre pressures. I would say that it is simply 'Sensitive'.

Since getting the car, I have had to become a better driver when pushing.

However the rewards it offers are also immense.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:24 AM
MBK

Originally Posted by Paper Lawyer,Aug 18 2008, 02:21 AM
Care to explain your logic?

The S2000 is as Hypersonik has said a superb handling car, and I too have found any handling issues are more likely my over enthusiasm with the controls than anything to do with the car.

I have read these threads before about the car being twitchy etc in the wet, well at Llandow on Saturday it was very wet with standing water and the S handled like a dream. Less than 2 seconds a lap slower and full use of VTEC all day, even exiting very wet corners, any slides were progressive and controllable.

I agree with all the advice about checking tyre pressures/geo etc if its as bad as reported surely their must be a fault.

I would also suggest some skills training, especially if it's your first RWD car. Robb Gravett's Ultimate Car Control or a few laps with one of Motorsports Events instructors should do the trick. With front wheel drive you tend to get on the thottle earlier at the apex, RWD demands you wait until the rear wheels can drive you out of the corner. Delay just a moment and the result is astounding, the car grips and fires out of corners.

Hope you get the problems sorted either way.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:40 AM

I guess stepping straight from a fwd car into rwd, the sensation of the car steering from the rear can be unnerving. But once you're used to how the car will respond to your inputs, you'll find you can exploit the true abilities of the car more often and simply avoid geting into dangerous situations.

However, just follow the advice given in all the previous responses here. If something is out, then the car won't respond as well as it can.

Slightlywet conditions can result in strange surface conditions, as when roads have been made slightly damp after a dry period that is when you'll have all the oil etc. being brought to the surface making it very slippery. Less of an issue in a front driver, but you need to exercise caution in a rear driver when using that right foot in those conditions!
Old 08-18-2008, 03:56 AM

It should go without saying, don't treat the throttle like an on/off switch.
I've accelerated on wet roads going from 15mph to 60mph coming off roundabouts with no problems and that was using 2nd gear upto 9k rpm. I've also tried the same but pushing hard i.e. fully open throttle, this resulted in fish tailing. With no electronic drivers aids besides ABS, you need to be in more control of the throttle.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:59 AM

I understand what you are saying and agree in the dry its nothing short of amazing.....but in the wet mine is terrible!! I have S02'S on at the moment rears on 4mm and fronts on 6.....so need changing soon im hoping this will remedy the problem........and 2 yrs ago I had a stage 1 Nissan 200sx running about 290bhp so I know how to drive a rear wheeler......but I agree with the original poster you cannot push on in damp conditions or hit roundabouts etc etc in the same way you can in a GTI-6 or integra Front driver
Old 08-18-2008, 07:01 AM

Just to add I also have a 330 BMW rear wheel drive which never budges on the rear end no matter what conditions or what I do.......in comparison the rear of the S2000 feels like its on Castors!!
Old 08-18-2008, 07:06 AM

What tyres are on the rear of the OP car, and what tyre pressure?
Old 08-18-2008, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by MARTS2K,Aug 18 2008, 06:59 AM
I understand what you are saying and agree in the dry its nothing short of amazing.....but in the wet mine is terrible!! I have S02'S on at the moment rears on 4mm and fronts on 6.....so need changing soon im hoping this will remedy the problem........and 2 yrs ago I had a stage 1 Nissan 200sx running about 290bhp so I know how to drive a rear wheeler......but I agree with the original poster you cannot push on in damp conditions or hit roundabouts etc etc in the same way you can in a GTI-6 or integra Front driver
Worn SO2
Old 08-18-2008, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MARTS2K,Aug 18 2008, 03:59 PM
but in the wet mine is terrible!! I have S02'S on at the moment rears on 4mm and fronts on 6.....so need changing soon
Answered your own question there!
Old 08-18-2008, 08:45 AM

[QUOTE=hoppingdeth,Aug 18 2008, 07:39 AM] Worn SO2

Quick Reply: Handling