UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Had a blast against a bike

Old 05-16-2003, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had a blast against a bike

Came off M1 and went 3/4 round the round about and as the traffic lights turn red a 1200 or 1300cc Yamaha pulls up along side me, not a sports bike but a straight bar upright type thing, we were both going straight on and it was a dual carriageway ahead, so at the lights the bike gets the jump as youd expect and gets about four car lenghths before we turn onto a sweepng left hander that takes you off the roundabout (still two lanes him on the inside me on the outside, both lanes go straight on) and onto the dual carriageway, I had my foot to the floor vtecing in each gear and as we enter the corner I just closed right up on him and then along side of him, as we staighten up he tries to put power down but has to back off as there is traffic in his lane so I went breezing past, he then pulls out behind me making hand signals as if i had done something wrong (I was in the outside lane so had right of way). I then moved over and turned off left and let him fly past weaving his head about as he dramatises opening up the bike. I think he was a bit taken back. Well to say I nearly pissed myself is an understatement I just could not get the smile off myself.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:45 AM

1200 to 1300cc - the S is a great car but most Ferrari's would find themselves hard pressed to beet a bike to the ton mark. I love my S to bits and am even considering trading up to a newer model but it does not have a patch on my bike when it comes to an all out adrenaline rush.

Mine is a 1200cc sports tourer and I've seen 200mph on the clock with a 0 to 100 which would beet the S's 0 to 60 every time.

Still must have been a great feeling though.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:16 AM

I had some great fun with a bike, we were both orbiting a roundabout waiting for a chance to nail it up the dual carriageway, did 2 or 3 full circuits

While the bike's superior power to weight ratio will see us off in a straightline they can't stay with you in the above scenario. In a B road blast I doubt that the bike would stay with an S2000 frankly. The braking and cornering ability of the car is superior enough to give the S2000 the edge outside of the straightline 'window'

If you find a bike up your chuff leading on to a straight best let them fly.............and nail them underbraking
Old 05-16-2003, 04:43 AM

I had a ZX750R and I had a blast against an Nissan 300zx and was suprised how it went. Most bikes from a standstill will dissapear but Ive been suprised at how well the S goes from say 30-50 onward. Okay bikes will pull away but its not that dramatic. I personally have more fun in the S than on a bike, I would love to have one just for tracks and you can get some decent bikes for say 2.5k but on our roads thay are even more of a waste of time than having a fast car unless you commute on one were in traffic they come into there own. BTW the same roundabout a week earlier had exactly the same with a Aprillia mille thingy 1000 and the same thing happened except he was about 8 car lengths at the roundabout but I started to gain around the corner but then he was on the straight and gone. now they are awsome sounding/looking bikes.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:41 AM

Has anyone seen the Jeremy Clarkson Video in which Jason Plato drives a Porsche C4 against I think its an R1 with a Superbike Guy riding it, The R1 blasts off into the sunset at the start but then come the corners the C4 just breezes past, the R1 then gets past only for the C4 to repass, its tight but the C4 takes it, its a great clip. Now the C4 isnt even the fastest supercar and around a track I reckon that the S would give a C4 a run for its money but the R1 at the time was regarded as the fastest and lightest of its type.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by Colin Killick
I had a ZX750R and I had a blast against an Nissan 300zx and was suprised how it went. ..
Yeah, don't knock those things. My brother had a FairladyZ twin turbo and it went like hot sh!t off a shovel. He's now traded it in for a NSX which sounds better and has better resolved handling overall, but for sheer straightline grunt not much can beat a Z tt when it is on song, perhaps a Supra. The handling was sweet too.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:00 AM

A modern superbike upto 100 will only be matched by the odd supercar, thereafter the supercars can pull away, as for twisties then its generally down to the riders bottle, but modern performance cars have a huge tyre footprint compared to the 'palm of your hand' footprint of a bike.

Plus all that braking effect through that rubber will again beat any bike, but if ridden properly they should blast off once half upright.

Must admit it's a close call between the S or my R1 for pleasure, but the kicks you get from 0-100 in 8sec acceleration and knee down cornering probably just swing it for me
Old 05-18-2003, 12:59 PM

on a twisty road, a well driven sports car will see off most bikes, even the sportier ones -- simply down to the amount of grip and extra breaking a car can generate.

Though as said above alot of that is also down to the riders bottle, if a biker can see the road clearly and can use the whole road through a series of bends 7/10 times he'll waste the car.

That Clarkson video was pretty cool, the proof that a car can be quicker though shows in that, I understand Superbike or some such mag featured the same article at the time and they had some interesting stats on stoppping power etc,
if i remember correctly the car stopped from 70 mph in something stupid like 90 feet, while the bike managed a mediocre 120 feet or something.

mind you not every car on the road is a porsche 911 is it....

So if your gonna chase a bike do it on a twisty with not very long straights.....

but for pure acceleration you simply can't beat a big bike, at pretty much any speed, any gear really

might just bring mine to the next supermeet and we can do some testing....

picking up a new zzr1200 on tuesday so watch out --- will be looking for some of you.....
Old 05-18-2003, 01:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Three bikes overtook me on my way home from SM3 today. I indicated inside and pulled over to let then past.

Each biker gave me the thumbs up as he pulled past me as if to say `cheers for that`. I was quite impressed, a little courtesy to the bikers and they seems chuffed.

Old 05-18-2003, 11:34 PM

Yeah it would be nice if twats in the fast lane of the motorway did that CC.

Quick Reply: Had a blast against a bike