UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

had an accident on tuesday

Old 11-21-2010, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cruising_in_my_s2k,Nov 21 2010, 07:55 PM
I did a 180 degrees on the A406 from the slow lane to the fast lane avoiding others along the way!
Whoa! You were very lucky then.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:03 AM

You can select gears without depressing the clutch whilst the engine is off, this is normal, once you've one this a couple of times it becomes easier as the gears have lined up. I can't see how a mild rear nearside collision would damage the gearbox, the diff maybe at a push but the suspension components and the wheel will have absorbed most if not all of the impact.

Either way it's not going to be a cheap repair unfortunately. Maybe best avoiding the insurance company if you van as they have a habit of writing off cars rather than repairing them these days, especially the s2k. Best bet would be to source second hand parts and attempt a repair that way...

At least it sounds like no one was hurt and you managed not to take anybody else out with you.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Madfish,Nov 21 2010, 12:03 PM
You can select gears without depressing the clutch whilst the engine is off, this is normal, once you've one this a couple of times it becomes easier as the gears have lined up. I can't see how a mild rear nearside collision would damage the gearbox, the diff maybe at a push but the suspension components and the wheel will have absorbed most if not all of the impact.

Either way it's not going to be a cheap repair unfortunately. Maybe best avoiding the insurance company if you van as they have a habit of writing off cars rather than repairing them these days, especially the s2k. Best bet would be to source second hand parts and attempt a repair that way...

At least it sounds like no one was hurt and you managed not to take anybody else out with you.
yes thank god for that !

It's a silver convertible always gets attention, i was soo depressed the next day !

It was the silly break down fella who suggested that the gearbox was gone

silly little ****

but thankfully it doesn't look as bad as i first thought !
Old 11-21-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by dennohue,Nov 21 2010, 12:03 PM
Whoa! You were very lucky then.
I used to watch Knight Rider as a child
Old 11-21-2010, 11:58 PM

I recently bought a full rear hub and driveshaft for £100(or was it £150?) from an ebay breaker.
If the crash broke the disc chances are that it's buggered the hub too, and possibly the calliper or carrier.

Assuming the actual suspension arms are ok and you're happy with second hand parts then you might be able to get back on the road for a few hundred.

I'm not sure how it could have knackered the gearbox.
Even if the wheel is stopped dead and the power still running the drive shaft should snap before wrecking the diff and gearbox. (at least it did with me)
Old 11-22-2010, 01:40 AM

I'm trying to think who this actually is...

My guess is Soulcrew.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by cruising_in_my_s2k,Nov 20 2010, 07:06 PM
Anyway so it was raining and I skidded off the road and hit a curb breaking my rear left side break disk in 2 along with the tracking rod which snapped and a few other bits. The break down guy said that the gearbox is gone too but the second breakdown fella said its just the back tyre and the connecting parts.

I checked the gear stick this morning and it was going into gear without me even putting down the clutch!!! this was when the car was off though !!!

it felt loose and was skipping into gear without effort like before

what does this mean? please
Old 11-22-2010, 06:48 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by cruising_in_my_s2k,Nov 20 2010, 07:06 PM
my rear left side break disk in 2 along with the tracking rod which snapped and a few other bits.
Can you post a picture of this in case it gives any clues?
Old 11-22-2010, 07:35 AM

As far as I know, there aren’t any tracking rods on the rear wheels either.
Pictures might help determine what it is that's broken.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rob88,Nov 22 2010, 12:58 AM
I recently bought a full rear hub and driveshaft for £100(or was it £150?) from an ebay breaker.
If the crash broke the disc chances are that it's buggered the hub too, and possibly the calliper or carrier.

Assuming the actual suspension arms are ok and you're happy with second hand parts then you might be able to get back on the road for a few hundred.

I'm not sure how it could have knackered the gearbox.
Even if the wheel is stopped dead and the power still running the drive shaft should snap before wrecking the diff and gearbox. (at least it did with me)
After more research this is exactly the problem the drive hub and shaft are gone as well as the disc.

I guess you learn more about a car after an accident or after a trip to the garage.

do you have a link for those breakers you purchased the parts from please as I've heard many stories about how dodgy E bay is

Quick Reply: had an accident on tuesday