UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Grade of Engine Oil for UK Drivers

Old 01-05-2015, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What were my bad habits?
Old 01-05-2015, 04:00 PM

Received 451 Likes on 378 Posts

Hand tight on the oil filter is definitely not enough, use a torque wrench for that and the sump plug.
Also starting up the engine with too little oil, not recommended.
It's nice that you share your work though and I hope your next change will be spot on
Old 01-05-2015, 04:05 PM

Yeh hand tight is vague! I torque wrenched it after the video and it was good!
I've never had a sump plug loosen but for a tutorial video I guess I should be giving a specific measurement so that there is no margin for error.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:39 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by N777CK T
Yeh hand tight is vague! I torque wrenched it after the video and it was good!
I've never had a sump plug loosen but for a tutorial video I guess I should be giving a specific measurement so that there is no margin for error.
It's great as flanders say's that you document and show others what you have done on your car, but as you put out the vid's as a tutorial then you should research your info and go above and beyond in your explanation of how to, whether people follow you to the letter is up to them, but by covering all corners it will set your videos above some of the dross out there.

In your first vid you jack the car up but don't mention to chock the wheels, then it looks like someone sitting in the drivers seat while it is on the scissor jack, you say don't use edge Diesel ? if you check the forum is a very common oil to use, you then say the Hamp filter is exactly the same as the oem Honda before finding out the removal tool doesn't fit, the filter was redesigned for the S2000 and is different to other Honda filters, you show a 12 point socket to undo the sump plug it is always best to use a 6 point, you don't mention to warm the engine first then you let the oil spill on the floor, lift the container to the sump remove the plug then lower the container to the floor, then you tighten the plug by jerking on the ratchet (big no no) that's how they end up stripped or overtightened as you found on your first oil change, when you do an oil change fit the bonnet prop in the service point this will allow the bonnet to lift almost vertical giving you better access, it looks like you are wearing overalls with a zip you are in a garage use the wing covers, and what's all this just flick the key in the first vid you let it run for a minute.

If you are doing a tutorial video you need to show the correct way to do things even if you don't normally do things that way
Old 01-06-2015, 01:32 AM

Nobody was sitting inside the car. As I was lifting the front the handbrake is on so it is not necessary to use a chock. For providing correct information if there is a diesel and a petrol oil I am going to recommend not to use the diesel version - regardless of who uses it on these forums. The oil filter removal tool didn't fit because there was a non Honda/Hamp filter fitted to begin with, it will fit on any Honda or Hamp filters. Yes using a 12 point socket is not ideal but it's all I had and I now have a decent hex set which I will be using from now on. Obviously the idea is not to get oil on the floor but it happens.

You are very critical to mention about the type of overalls I am wearing!
Old 01-06-2015, 03:30 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by N777CK T
Nobody was sitting inside the car. As I was lifting the front the handbrake is on so it is not necessary to use a chock. For providing correct information if there is a diesel and a petrol oil I am going to recommend not to use the diesel version - regardless of who uses it on these forums. The oil filter removal tool didn't fit because there was a non Honda/Hamp filter fitted to begin with, it will fit on any Honda or Hamp filters. Yes using a 12 point socket is not ideal but it's all I had and I now have a decent hex set which I will be using from now on. Obviously the idea is not to get oil on the floor but it happens.

You are very critical to mention about the type of overalls I am wearing!
I was just merely giving you some pointers for when you make your next video, if your going to make them then make the best you can

like i said with you calling them tutorial videos you need to get the info right as your audience will more than likely be first timers, so the part about chocks still stands no matter which end you jack up, more over the S2000 has such a stiff chassis that even jacking it up on the front side jacking point can lift the rear off the ground so if your hand brake isn't 100% then it could slip so makes sense to just mention it in your vids as a safety precaution, it defo looks like someone sitting in your car i said drivers but as the car is the other way around then passengers seat they still shouldn't be in the car on a scissor jack,

The oil filter is info you should include as the S2000 has a specifically designed one so by including this info you can make people aware,

on the oil front you did ask on here so would know edge td is OK and used by many,

I am not being critical on your overalls just pointing out that as the Honda paint is very soft and easily marked that it is good practice to use wing covers, i wouldn't be very happy if i walked in a workshop and saw someone leaning over my wing without some form of protection,

All the above is just basic stuff that would make your videos that little better than others
Old 01-06-2015, 04:48 AM

Yeh I will try to remember to do my next video to the book and maybe link my other videos to this thread so that people get a full explanation