UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

GPS detectors suitable for Continental driving?

Old 07-16-2003, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS detectors suitable for Continental driving?

I gather that Les Flic don't like radar detector gadgets - anybody know if they have the same attitude towards GPS 'safety devices', and if so, anyone know of any which are suitable for Continental driving?

TIA

Ted
Old 07-16-2003, 03:43 AM

Ted, no personal experience but I've read a number of accounts from people who have had GPS detectors impounded or even destroyed on the spot. Les Dibbles don't seem to be too choosy about the niceties of whether it's a laser/radar detector or whether it's a GPS based system - in a typically Gallic way, they just do what they like and ignore the realities of the situation!

My view? Don't take anything you're not prepared to lose.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:47 AM

Probably the safest kind are the ones that are software plugins for handheld PC's like IPAQs. The cameras appear as 'points of interest' on the map of your navigation software. Have a look here for some reviews. Not sure if they do foreign points of interest.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UK ones may be different..but my Jap GPS camera detector works fine sitting on the centre console so it is pretty hard to spot by somebody standing at the side of the road...and easily stuffed out of site.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:32 AM

I'd be surprised if a UK GPS detector would have a database that covers the Europe cameras?....... I have a Road Angel and as far as I'm aware it only covers the UK?
Old 07-16-2003, 05:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I go to France later this year. As I`m driving to Portsmouth, I wanted to use the Road Angel for the UK leg. Then my intention was to hide the RA in the insides of the boot.

What are the chances of being stopped and searched in Francais?

(I know I`ve loaded this with opportunities for you characters out there but sod it, I`ll ask anyway).
Old 07-16-2003, 05:32 AM

Originally posted by cheshire_carper
I go to France later this year. As I`m driving to Portsmouth, I wanted to use the Road Angel for the UK leg. Then my intention was to hide the RA in the insides of the boot.

What are the chances of being stopped and searched in Francais?

(I know I`ve loaded this with opportunities for you characters out there but sod it, I`ll ask anyway).
For the sake of one return journey in the UK, I'd leave it at home. Don't give our garlick eating brethren the chance to fine you a grand or confiscate your car.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I was today advised the same - dont put it in yer boot.

So i will, as i awlays do be obeying limits on the way to Dover this Sunday
Old 07-16-2003, 12:24 PM

Good advice, just ain't worth bringing it. If you have sucker marks on your windscreen, clean them off as that's enough excuse for them to want to take your car apart.

Beware of speed traps in France too. The flics are REALLY cracking down, I've seen loads of speed traps round here recently and this is an area where next to sod all happens in the summer. In their normal rosbif-catching hideouts nearer the channel I am sure they are just waiting for you.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by potfish
Good advice, just ain't worth bringing it. If you have sucker marks on your windscreen, clean them off as that's enough excuse for them to want to take your car apart.

Beware of speed traps in France too. The flics are REALLY cracking down, I've seen loads of speed traps round here recently and this is an area where next to sod all happens in the summer. In their normal rosbif-catching hideouts nearer the channel I am sure they are just waiting for you.

That's it. Sod Le Chunnel. I'm taking a ferry to Holland instead...

Quick Reply: GPS detectors suitable for Continental driving?