UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Got Sold A CRAP S

Old 10-05-2009, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gutted for you K. Not a nice position to be in, not many of us like complaining. They will probably try and get out of any liability but make sure you stand your ground.

I hope it doesn't taint your opinion of the S - it's a fab car if you can get the right one (or sorted so it works properly )

At least it's a trader, private sale would have been a lot worse.

Good luck
Old 10-05-2009, 09:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, exactly like jjr197 said, unless you don't mind waiting a few months and having days off work while you have to battle them legally
Old 10-05-2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by kaleemaa,Oct 5 2009, 06:43 PM
It's a shame because i really love this car and am kind of put of it now. I cant seem to find any breakers that stock this steering rack either.
I wouldn't even try and source anything until you've confronted the dealer - it might weaker your resolve
Old 10-05-2009, 09:47 AM

I wouldn't even try and source anything until you've confronted the dealer - it might weaker your resolve
I agree, dont do a thing to it. leave it in the state they sold it to you in and let them deal with it.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:50 AM

Yes I am, the young lady over the phone (trading standards) said dont touch the car at all as the trader can then argue that you have done something to it. I don't have the wallet depth at the moment to be spendings grands ££ to do work on it anyway.

Currently not working so i have all the time in the world to get this sorted
Old 10-05-2009, 10:03 AM

Excellent - if they don't sort you out satisfactorily you can camp outside their premises
Old 10-05-2009, 10:07 AM

HaHa yea! Bit cold now though
Old 10-05-2009, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Oct 5 2009, 06:39 PM
indeed
Have you ever watched Stargate, Gad? If not, you should - there's a character you would like....

To the OP, I take it that it wasn't a franchised Honda dealer?

Trading Standards are right - up to a point. The car has to be of "satisfactory quality" - but what exactly that means is a bit of a moving target, depending on how old the car is, what service history it has, how much you paid and so forth.

In practice, most dealers seem to take the view that it's a case of buyer beware and any after-sales defects aren't their problem. Legally, it's not as simple as that but best of luck persuading the dealer of that....

Check your home contents insurance, if you have it, and see whether it has legal expenses insurance bundled with it. If it does, call them and get some advice, and notify them of a claim so that they can instruct a solicitor to act on your behalf, if need be.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

There are two routes for you to take, both will be backed up by the Sale of Goods Act to some extent.

1 - The trader carries out ALL necessary repairs completely free of charge to your satisfaction or independent inspection.
2 - The trader gives you a FULL refund.

FWIW, the idle problem is probably caused by a faulty MAP sensor and/or the ISCV (Idle Speed Control Valve) and Throttle Body need cleaning...all of which are not uncommon.

As for the EPS problem, if there is a knocking noise, then this is probably related to the rack...to make sure a diagnostic test to interrogate the ECU/EPS Unit is required.

What is wrong with the Clutch Master Cylinder? Is it leaking, or is this Honda diagnosis once more?

I steer clear of dealers because they are 'generally' rip off merchants, although there a few are known to provide a good service.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by loftust,Oct 5 2009, 10:23 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

There are two routes for you to take, both will be backed up by the Sale of Goods Act to some extent.

1 - The trader carries out ALL necessary repairs completely free of charge to your satisfaction or independent inspection.
2 - The trader gives you a FULL refund.

FWIW, the idle problem is probably caused by a faulty MAP sensor and/or the ISCV (Idle Speed Control Valve) and Throttle Body need cleaning...all of which are not uncommon.

As for the EPS problem, if there is a knocking noise, then this is probably related to the rack...to make sure a diagnostic test to interrogate the ECU/EPS Unit is required.

What is wrong with the Clutch Master Cylinder? Is it leaking, or is this Honda diagnosis once more?

I steer clear of dealers because they are 'generally' rip off merchants, although there a few are known to provide a good service.
Yes the master slave appears to have leaked everywhere.

The fault codes were coming back as the EPS so a rack change for sure but at £2200 i dont even want to think about it.

I noticed something today also, there is a black felt marker that is covering an SRS light error on the dash. I havent driven it in the night and the days i did drive it, it was really sunny so never saw the fault

Quick Reply: Got Sold A CRAP S