UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Going for my 63k service!

Old 12-09-2014, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going for my 63k service!

Going for my 63k service this Saturday!

I was debating whether to keep having the car serviced at Honda or go somewhere else.
(note: I'm the 2nd owner of the car and my service book has only Honda stamps in all service intervals from the previous owner; but I wanted my car to be treated properly and not like a routine job. Honda will just change the 'usual' like oil/air filter, spark plugs, engine oil and rip you off price-wise. Also I wanted to BE THERE all the time during the service-cannot let her go through this alone, hehe! ).

A friend of mine introduced me to a very nice mechanic in Hays named Jose. He is mad about Hondas (owns a type R and a nitro-Del Sol as his daily driver!). I went to his garage a month ago for a free diagnosis as I was hearing a clunking sound underneath and didn’t know if it was a heat shield or the cat.

We ‘ve put the car up the ramp and we found out it was the cat. Next weekend I was there to change my broken OEM cat to Berk HFC (which I ordered on my own from USA) and I was astonished at his honesty as he said to me that he can probably get £40 off the old catalytic converter as he will recycle it! I personally do not know many mechanics telling you this! He told me I can have £40 off my next visit or pick up the cash instead; so I asked him if he knows what to check for the 63k service.

He used some dealer's software and my VIN to print off a very comprehensive list of what needs to be checked for the 63k service, specifically for the s2000 (all in a very professional but friendly manner) and he was like ‘we’ll make sure that we tick every single one of those boxes..’

No intention to advertise whatsoever; but I think people like Jose are rare these days, hence my article. It is very likely that some of you might have seen him & his black Del Sol in one of the UK Honda meetings as he attends regularly.

If you have nothing better to do and you are around the Hays area in London; please drop by and say hi if you want. Alternatively if you want to drive together (I live in Herts) pm me and we can find a suitable and convenient route.

Here is his address:
(his garage is adjacent to his other business Spaceships - car rental)

Claremont House
236 Nestles Avenue
Hayes
Middlesex
UB3 4SH

Cheers
Old 12-09-2014, 03:13 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

FWIW, you can see all the 63k sevice items here: https://www.s2ki.com/...ost__p__5798519

How much is he charging you?
Old 12-09-2014, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
FWIW, you can see all the 63k sevice items here: https://www.s2ki.com/...ost__p__5798519

How much is he charging you?
Thanks Lovergroova!

Good to know, I might want to attempt one of these myself in the future, using Jose tools & ramp lol

The only thing I’m getting from Jose is NGK 7746 Iridium Spark plugs (he told me he got them at £9.3 each which I assume it is a good price as Amazon have them for £11.something). Rest of the service stuff bought them myself from coxcarparts.com & Amazon.

Didn’t discuss anything price wise, but I feel very confident I won’t pay a lot. Last time I’ve paid £60 to change the cat but as already mentioned it is like I’ve paid £20 for it.

I’ll update here with pics and how much he charged me analytically this weekend!
Old 12-09-2014, 04:16 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

You don't need spark plugs for a 63k service, they should have been changed at the 54k service.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
You don't need spark plugs for a 63k service, they should have been changed at the 54k service.
Yup, you are absolutely spot on, I thought I'll buy them anyway as this is the first service that I'll be doing.
Besides, was really keen to switch to the iridium ones and see if this frightening cold start sound disappears or not!

But thanks for the tip anyway, much appreciated!
Old 12-10-2014, 07:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

£93 for spark plugs from Honda.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:07 AM

That's way too expensive for OEM sparkies! Check coxcarparts.com if you want platinum original.

I am rearing to try the NGK 7746 iridium on mine this weekend!
Old 12-10-2014, 10:10 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Note that Cox are a Honda dealer.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:11 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by not4s4l3
Yup, you are absolutely spot on, I thought I'll buy them anyway as this is the first service that I'll be doing.
Besides, was really keen to switch to the iridium ones and see if this frightening cold start sound disappears or not!

But thanks for the tip anyway, much appreciated!
What noise is this? Are you sure it's not just a very common slightly sticky starter motor?
Old 12-10-2014, 12:17 PM

Grinding noise. Yep probably you are right, mate but I still want to believe iridium will improve everything! Hoping it will be pretty much equivalent of painting spark plugs BLACK!

Quick Reply: Going for my 63k service!