UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Getting paranoid...

Old 02-22-2009, 02:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting paranoid...

I'm picking up my S2000 next weekend.

I didn't check the engine oil level of the car when I went to inspect it yesterday, and it's been bugging me.

I started getting paranoid after reading the FAQ and searched "oil use" on the forum. I have two concerns:

1) I have read that the later models use less oil.

Assuming the car (an MY08 with 3,500 miles) hasn't had its oil checked regularly and/or top-ups by its previous user, should I be worried that oil levels are dangerously low and building up potential problems?

2) I have agreed as part of the deal to have the car serviced.

However, the FAQ suggests waiting until around 6,000 miles before having the oil changed due to different oil being used for the run in period.

Would I be better off deferring the service until the car is actually 12 months old and will more likely have 5000-6000 miles under my ownership?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 02-22-2009, 02:59 AM

If it's a year old, the oil should be changed regardless that's what I was led to believe. It was always the case to use mineral for the first few thousand miles then synth up after that. The FAQ has all the answers though, I'm being a bit vague!
Old 02-22-2009, 03:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't worry; you're not alone in being paranoid about oil! I'm still slightly concerned about what oil I should be topping up with up until the first service. The word here is very much that the first oil fill whilst running in should be MINERAL oil (as opposed to semi-syth or fully synth - although fully synth goes in at the first service and for ever thereafter). I posted here a week or two back trying to find out what Honda put in at the factory. Most knowlegable-sounding folks here said 0W-20 or 10W-30 MINERAL oil would be used in Japan. Honda UK's Tech Dealer Support told me 5W-40 Semi-synthetic....... So I still ain't 100% sure! I guess the only way to find out what the factory fill of oil REALLY is would be to take a sample of it and get it tested! I ain't however, THAT paranoid, and am just going to use 5W-40 semi-synth to top up as per Honda UK's advice.

As regards your main concern, I would absolutely check that the oil level in your car is as it should be AFTER the service and, more importantly, BEFORE the service if you can. I guess at the end of the day, when buying a secondhand car one can never be 100% certain that the oil level hasn't perhaps got a bit too low at some point before being topped up by previous owners. I understand that the S can have serious engine issues later in life (50K miles??) IF at some point oil levels have temproraily got too low. The other thing I read widely here is that whilst the later engines (like yours and mine) in general use less oil than earlier ones, all S2000 engines can use a drop of oil during running in - particularly when first VTec-ing between 600 and 1200 miles.

At the end of the day fella I'd just pick the car up, keep it topped up with 5W-40 as per Honda UK's advice to me and then make sure that a good quality fully synth goes in at the first scheduled service. Some folks say you should change the oil after as little as 100 miles, some 1000 miles, some 4000 miles etc etc. I guess it's all down to each owner's views and beliefs. I tend either rightly or wrongly to put quite a bit of faith in the folks who build and warranty the engine and, as such, stick to their recommendations.

RON (fellow not-now-quite-so-paranoid owner-soon-to-be!!)
Old 02-22-2009, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by 98RON,Feb 22 2009, 04:12 AM
Don't worry; you're not alone in being paranoid about oil! I'm still slightly concerned about what oil I should be topping up with up until the first service. The word here is very much that the first oil fill whilst running in should be MINERAL oil (as opposed to semi-syth or fully synth - although fully synth goes in at the first service and for ever thereafter). I posted here a week or two back trying to find out what Honda put in at the factory. Most knowlegable-sounding folks here said 0W-20 or 10W-30 MINERAL oil would be used in Japan. Honda UK's Tech Dealer Support told me 5W-40 Semi-synthetic....... So I still ain't 100% sure! I guess the only way to find out what the factory fill of oil REALLY is would be to take a sample of it and get it tested! I ain't however, THAT paranoid, and am just going to use 5W-40 semi-synth to top up as per Honda UK's advice.

As regards your main concern, I would absolutely check that the oil level in your car is as it should be AFTER the service and, more importantly, BEFORE the service if you can. I guess at the end of the day, when buying a secondhand car one can never be 100% certain that the oil level hasn't perhaps got a bit too low at some point before being topped up by previous owners. I understand that the S can have serious engine issues later in life (50K miles??) IF at some point oil levels have temproraily got too low. The other thing I read widely here is that whilst the later engines (like yours and mine) in general use less oil than earlier ones, all S2000 engines can use a drop of oil during running in - particularly when first VTec-ing between 600 and 1200 miles.

At the end of the day fella I'd just pick the car up, keep it topped up with 5W-40 as per Honda UK's advice to me and then make sure that a good quality fully synth goes in at the first scheduled service. Some folks say you should change the oil after as little as 100 miles, some 1000 miles, some 4000 miles etc etc. I guess it's all down to each owner's views and beliefs. I tend either rightly or wrongly to put quite a bit of faith in the folks who build and warranty the engine and, as such, stick to their recommendations.

RON (fellow not-now-quite-so-paranoid owner-soon-to-be!!)
Thanks for your advice. There certainly seems to be a lot of differing opinions on this forum and even between dealers.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll get a chance to check the oil level before the service is done.

It seems that a high proportion of MY04+ owners have reported very low oil usage, even in the first few thousand miles. This is probably just about the best reassurance that I have at the moment that the oil level of my to-be-car should be okay.

I have requested to talk to the service manager before the service is carried out, re my second point.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:13 AM

For a newish car with 3500miles I would expect at most half a litre of usage. In my first year it used 1litre, hardly used any in the first couple of thousand when it was not in vtec much.

used Shell Helix 5w30 for top up, as a ratio to what's already in there it's so low that I'd be happy to use any branded oil of roughly the right type.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by NineBolts,Feb 23 2009, 11:13 AM
For a newish car with 3500miles I would expect at most half a litre of usage. In my first year it used 1litre, hardly used any in the first couple of thousand when it was not in vtec much.

used Shell Helix 5w30 for top up, as a ratio to what's already in there it's so low that I'd be happy to use any branded oil of roughly the right type.
Being my usual anal self, are you referring to (Shell Helix) PLUS (semi-synth) or ULTRA (fully synth)?? I'm assuming you mean PLUS/semi-synth given the gospel according to this forum being that fully synth should only be used at and after the first scheduled service.

RON
Old 02-23-2009, 06:33 AM

Unless the car drinks 4-5 litres before it's first change it's not going to matter a jot. if it does that you already have bigger problems
Old 02-23-2009, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by NineBolts,Feb 23 2009, 03:33 PM
Unless the car drinks 4-5 litres before it's first change it's not going to matter a jot. if it does that you already have bigger problems
A sensible practical approach: that'll do for me

RON
Old 02-23-2009, 09:52 AM

Mine hardly uses any oil at all. I check it regularly and use a good quality fully synthetic 5w-40. They say Semi Synth up till about 6k miles or so.

Don't be too worried about what you top it up with as long as it's decent quality it shouldn't be more than a few 100 mls.