UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Genuine Honda Touch-Up Paint

Old 07-19-2013, 07:02 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ch3tman
Hi all,

My car was recently scratched whilst in for a service with Honda's "European Flagship" dealership .

I'm considering the option of using 'Genuine Honda Touch-Up Paint' which, according to Google, looks something like this:

Apparently it has a pen and brush applicator... Has anyone actually used these, and are they effective?

I've read horror stories of bodyshops trying to colour match OEM pearlescent paints with the rest of the car (in fact, here is a current example) and failing, so at least this option seems to remove the colour match risk if its provided by the manufacturer themselves....

Thoughts?
A [b]good[\b] chipsaway type smart repairer will be able to do a virtually invisible repair to the damage in your other thread. The amount of colour coat that is actually missing is minimal, so even if they can't get the colour 100% right the amount of paint they would be putting on is so small you just won't see it after he clear coat goes on.

A Honda dealer near me damaged the front edge of my bonnet on my first S. they refused to accept liability but offered to get a chips away repair done and the end result was an invisible repair.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lower
A [b]good[\b] chipsaway type smart repairer will be able to do a virtually invisible repair to the damage in your other thread. The amount of colour coat that is actually missing is minimal, so even if they can't get the colour 100% right the amount of paint they would be putting on is so small you just won't see it after he clear coat goes on.

A Honda dealer near me damaged the front edge of my bonnet on my first S. they refused to accept liability but offered to get a chips away repair done and the end result was an invisible repair.
Thanks for the info, lower - that's really good to know. In that case I wonder what the chips away guys can do that a normal body shop can't do....
Old 07-19-2013, 03:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Smart repairs and normal body shop repairs are entirely different skills and technologies.

A normal bodyshop will respray the whole bonnet and probably want to blend in the wings. A smart repairer will deal with the scratch only.

A normal body shop is unlikely to have the skills to deal with the scratch alone. They're more into repairing crash damage.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:22 AM
jsh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As above as regard's bodyshop/smart repair's but you also have to bear in mind that 1 smart repairer will actually do a small area repair and another will not .He will want to do whole panel .

As regard's to your original query paint match depend's on how it's used ( how many coat's of colour/clear coat etc.) just as much as how well the paint is mixed .

There are too many variable's when it come's to matching paint .

Your best bet for repairing the damage shown , if you do not want to bodge it yourself ,is a competent smart repairer .