UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Genuine Honda Touch-Up Paint

Old 07-11-2013, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genuine Honda Touch-Up Paint

Hi all,

My car was recently scratched whilst in for a service with Honda's "European Flagship" dealership .

I'm considering the option of using 'Genuine Honda Touch-Up Paint' which, according to Google, looks something like this:

Apparently it has a pen and brush applicator... Has anyone actually used these, and are they effective?

I've read horror stories of bodyshops trying to colour match OEM pearlescent paints with the rest of the car (in fact, here is a current example) and failing, so at least this option seems to remove the colour match risk if its provided by the manufacturer themselves....

Thoughts?
Old 07-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 309 Posts

Yup I have used it and it works ok. Generally you will be able to see the touch up is you get real close but it does help.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:37 PM

Thanks, good to hear! Do you have before / after pics, perchance?
Old 07-11-2013, 11:21 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

I've used one, remember to use a rust killer first. it you want a perfect finish don't use the "nail varnish" brush, go and choose some really fine ones from an art shop, layer up the paint till it's just proud and use the finest wet and dry you can get to push it back then wax away.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or use the tip of a needle..
Old 07-12-2013, 01:22 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

You hole punch some wey or dry & superglue it to a pencil eraser & flat off the blob of paint:

Old 07-12-2013, 02:04 AM

Thanks Nick. Now I'm not sure it'd really help with:

Attachment 194145

Old 07-12-2013, 02:24 AM

I used to have one for my dc2/db8. Worked well depending on how you used it. I was crap at it, using it like tipex lol.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:03 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ch3tman
Thanks Nick. Now I'm not sure it'd really help with:

You might have to gouge those out a bit, to get the paint to sit in it. Once dried, you can rub with a pencil.

I have some from The Scratch Doctor, which includes a base & clear. I've not tried it yet, but I think you'd likely get a more invisible finish.

In fact, I find clearcoat often is a great way to 'invisible' scratches, when there's sufficient base remaining. The only thing I dislike about clear is it seems very prone to blowing/pitting. I've re-done the 'Lude's rear bumper a couple of times with an aresole, but it keeps blowing on the same corner in strong sunlight.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:39 AM

I had a few fairly big chunks taken out of my bonnet by a gritter van in the winter! Cue huge amounts of rage.

Start of the summer I got some touch up paint off ebay and one of those narrow rust remover pens which I used to get the areas around the main dent clean. Then layered in the touch up over time with some thin layers until it was level. Then I did the clearcoat.

Then I got my friend who is a detailer to do the whole car, he smoothed down these bits and they blended in really well.

I'm not sure if its any easier the fact that I have a dark colour car but I was amazed with the results. What I would would be a ruined bonnet is pretty much perfect until you look for where the chips used to be.

Quick Reply: Genuine Honda Touch-Up Paint