UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

gearbox is whining...HELP GUYS!

Old 10-08-2009, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gearbox is whining...HELP GUYS!

After racing and beating an audi s5 i notcied my gearbox began to whine slightly in 6th gear... i drove it hard but properly...i.e. no crunching gears etc etc and not letting it cut out...just generally drove it hard like it should.... the whine is like a jet kind of sound.. its loudest when you are maintaining speed at aroun 3k revs it now does it in all gears :'( i can it has not affected the power or the way that the gears change... its just whining alot and really annoying.... not really worried but its the fact its got louder and now in all gears thats getting me worried. its a 99 spec IMPORT JDM... any ideas?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Difficult to diagnose online - but it might not be the box, the diffs are prone to whining, i'm having mine changed under warranty next week, due to it whining like a stuck pig.

Best thing to do as a first step would be to drop the gearbox and diff fluids and see how you go.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:02 AM

how do you know its the diff? i did supsect the diff but then again i thought it would whine all the time even when out of gear... when i coast along in neutral there is no whining at all?
Old 10-08-2009, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On mine its a pretty obvious whine from the rear at low speeds in 1st and at a 40-45 mph cruise - irrespective of what gear I'm in.

I'm not saying it is the diff , but it could be, equally it could be the box.

Drop the gearbox oil first, see if things improve.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Imarriedmys2k,Oct 8 2009, 06:40 PM
After racing and beating an audi s5
Racing? Where?
Old 10-08-2009, 11:14 PM

I had this problem 2 weeks ago, whining in every gear and coasting in neutral.
I changed the diff and same problem....

I've now got my gearbox in for a rebuild and a new clutch going in too, i'm waiting for a final bill but they did quote £500 for a rebuilt gearbox which is about the same price as a 2nd hand gearbox, cut a long story short but....

My gearbox whined, i bought one off ebay out of a car that had done 22k put it in and whined in 4th, so i sent it back got my money back on that and then got my oirginal one reconned...i'm waiting to get it back now...went in last Saturday so i might be getting it back next week, even if it costs £600 it'll be worth it as it's tested in all gears prior to fitting on a gearbox testing machine.

Will let you know the outcome and price if your interested....and the place that did the work.

P.S I put an OEM Honda clutch in too...
Old 10-08-2009, 11:19 PM

Generally diff whine varies with road speed and will be much more evident under load. (that is you might not hear it at all when coasting.)

Gearbox whine wiill vary but it depends on which bits causing the noise as to how.
for example it may vary with engine revs which suggests something on the input side or perhaps layshaft. If it varies with roadspeed its more likely to be something on the output shaft end. (However there are no hard and fast rules here - only clues.)

The best advice for starters, as has been said, is to change the fluid in both gearbox and diff. Have a really good look at what is in the old fluid you drain out. Metal sludge is always a good clue and metal flakes is a cause for concern. Also check how much comes out relative to the recommended fill capacity.

Some folks have had good experience with using fully synthetic replacement fluids. Just make sure you get the right grades.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check for metal filings in the oil of gearbox/diff, which ever one has it is most likely to be the one whining
Old 10-08-2009, 11:27 PM

I've never heard of a GF to be called a gearbox

Tell her to stop it anyway
Old 10-08-2009, 11:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If its the diff, it could be a problem with the ring and pinion/shims etc.

Quick Reply: gearbox is whining...HELP GUYS!