UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Gearbox problems on 05 car?

Old 04-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Community Organizer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Gearbox problems on 05 car?

My 05, 55 plate S - 17k on the clock, seems to catch going in to 2nd gear (going up the box) at low revs - at any thing above 4-5kish on the revs it seems to be absolutely fine. Also, when I come back down the box in to 2nd, e.g if I were going to overtake some one at low speed, if I am doing any thing more than 25-30mph, it quite often pops out of 2nd gear. Just to be clear, this does only happen when I come back down the box and not going up.

I have booked the S in to my local dealer - 2 mills Honda for next Friday, 11th April as it is still under warranty, but don't want to be fobbed off.

I have searched through the technical data/help on the website but can't seem to find any thing that seems to be related to my problem, any ideas what it could be?
Old 04-02-2008, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 05 is sometimes an effort to clunk it into second from first, especially when cold, and occasionally pops out of first if I haven't engaged it properly. Shower it to Honda Ewell who drove it about and counldn't find anything wrong...
Old 04-02-2008, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by sneakfish,Apr 2 2008, 08:16 PM
My 05 is sometimes an effort to clunk it into second from first, especially when cold, and occasionally pops out of first if I haven't engaged it properly. Shower it to Honda Ewell who drove it about and counldn't find anything wrong...
Mine's the same. It's going into Southern Counties Honda in Crawley on Friday for service and gearbox check. I think it's a common trait of S2000 gearboxes, but worth a check anyway. May ask for oil change if they can't find anything and see if that helps. Will let you know what they find.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:27 AM

I too get it every now and then - always first to second.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:58 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

You have triple-cone synchronisers on 2nd; it's always more deliberate a shift than the other gears.

It's to protect the synchro against those who cannot H&T down the box.

Early cars would 'crunch' if you rushed the shift, so there was a recall for those who complained.

The corollary is a worse change.

If it's anything more than that, you have a specific problem.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:01 PM

Markwneale had a new gearbox on his 06 at very low mileage. I'd PM him and see what the symptoms were.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Community Organizer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Will see what Honda come back with and PM Markwneale to see what happened with his. Seems to be a common thing from the responses so far and is definitely more prominate when it's cold as a few of you have mentioned.

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 04-03-2008, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Apr 2 2008, 07:58 PM
You have triple-cone synchronisers on 2nd; it's always more deliberate a shift than the other gears.

It's to protect the synchro against those who cannot H&T down the box.

Early cars would 'crunch' if you rushed the shift, so there was a recall for those who complained.

The corollary is a worse change.

If it's anything more than that, you have a specific problem.
The 1st 2nd change is noticably slow for this very reason - worse when cold but perfectly fine if you don't rely on the synchromesh. Mine does it if I make "lazy" gearchanges when it's cold.

To be fair it's hardly noticeable when it's warm.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:23 AM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine used to do the same thing sometimes. In your next transmission oil change try this and you won't regret it

transmission oil

Mine is like butter now

Chris (blue monster too )
Old 04-03-2008, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by S2000_FUN,Apr 3 2008, 11:23 AM
Mine used to do the same thing sometimes. In your next transmission oil change try this and you won't regret it

transmission oil

Mine is like butter now

Chris (blue monster too )
Thanks for the info . have made a note. Will wait and see what the dealer says about my box tomorrow

Quick Reply: Gearbox problems on 05 car?