UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Gear pops out

Old 01-12-2011, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear pops out

Hi folks,
Had my S since May last year, bought with 20k on the clock. Its been fun but I think its developing a faulty gear box.
1st and 3rd gear occasionally (say two times a week) pops out into neutral, at first I thought it was me not paying full attention to the stick, but I doubted it because I'm not the type to lightly push the stick, until I noticed that sometimes it was not possible to fully engage 1st, no matter how hard you push on it and the clutch... this situation when unnoticed is what I think causes the gear popping out shortly after I start moving. This is becoming more frequent, and now 3rd does it too.

Obviously I want it fixed in case the gear pops out when my life depends on it.
I took it to the dealer and as I expected they could not reproduce the fault on demand. they kept the car a day and a half, I was told they changed the oil but when I drove the tech around to try and replicate it he said they only topped it up. They apparently looked at the mechanism from above with the stick out, and will only open the box proper when they have proof/can reproduce.

The car (2008) is still under warranty, with extention after that.

So the question is, what should I do? Has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers

S
Old 01-12-2011, 01:19 PM

I am not an expert on these boxes only had my s a month I remember learning in college that maybe detent ball and springs (think that's what they r called ) can cause this?
Old 01-12-2011, 01:32 PM

Received 253 Likes on 218 Posts

I had a problem with my first S, sometimes it would not engage 3rd, it felt like I was not clearing the gate properly, Phoenix Stirling had it a few times till it did it when the service manager was driving, they checked the mechanism against another S, changed the oil but nothing helped, Honda suggested they start changing internals but the SM recommended a new box since they would be experimenting to find a cure and it could prove very costly, so I got a new box.
Stick to your guns and get them to try it again, keep a log of when it happens to you, ie, how warm is the box, how far you've driven it etc so it might be easier to replicate the problem.
Good luck.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Community Organizer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a problem with mine popping out of 2nd gear when I was coming back down the box.

When I took it in to the local stealer they seemed to be aware of this and sorted it under warranty.

From memory it was some thing like the counter shaft balance (which means bugger all to me!!) but it was gearbox out job, Honda replaced 2nd gear & it's been fine ever since.

Yours could be some thing completely different but when I asked on here had any one experienced any thing like what I was describing - no one had much info.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:33 PM

I wonder if the garage would accept video proof if you are able to rig up your camera in such a way to film it popping out?
Old 01-13-2011, 12:55 AM

Thanks guys,
This morning I stopped (engine Off) to purchase a parking ticket, when I turned it back on a minute later 1st gear would not go in and it grinds if I try, I look at and push my left foot harder to make sure its down as far as it will go, it is. Then I reach for my phone to film this... I left it at home!! ARGHHHH. I switch to another gear and bacl into 1st and it went in no problem.

Anyway, I thought surely under these circumstances it should be fairly obvious what is buggered, no?

cheers
S
Old 01-13-2011, 07:30 AM

Have you checked to ensure there is sufficient fluid in the clutch reservoir? Seems obvious, but worth checking!

If not that, then it sounds either like a linkage bush has failed or something has just come awry inside the 'box.