UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Garage break-in

Old 04-04-2009, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage break-in

Just went to get the car out and make the most of the sunshine today, only to be greeted with an open garage door. Closer inspection also revealed it was off the hinges.
Nothing has been taken and no signs of vandalism, but I'm now a bit worried they could be back or possibly tell others it's there.
I'm thinking of staying away this wknd and maybe relocating the car for the foreseeable future to check if anyone returns...

Can anyone offer any further advice or share any relevant experiences?

The other option is to camp out with crowbars etc...
Old 04-04-2009, 06:52 AM

Upgrade the door.

Sorry about your experience. It is not nice living in fear that someone is after your pride and joy.

Good luck.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:04 AM

Wire the door to a mains socket then they would get what they deserved.
I had a similar thing happen a good few years ago when the house got broken into and the keys to my FTO were taken. I kept my car at my in-laws for a good few weeks after that, after chaging the locks ofcourse. I ended up using a wheel clamp with a wire linked to a spare zone of my house alarm so the clamp could not be removed without setting off the house alarm.
Having said that with todays car alarms I would be far more worried about thw keys being taken from me rather than the car being stolen when I was not there.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd keep car else-where and upgrade garage security

i've had a few ideas in the past, but since i don't have a garage, it's a bit tricky to confirm if they actually work....

security pole directly outside of garage/on your drive way. would stop the garage door being opened, but not very cosmetically pleasing.

dad has put 2 yale locks at the bottom of the garage door at his house - the lock pins are long enough so it would take a rather large bar to provide enough clearance for the door to be opened. 1 each side at the bottom, and the main garage lock is what he uses (3 separate locks all together)

to be honest, if they didn't take your car keys, then it's unlikely they'd be able to get off with your S - immobilizer makes it too difficult for them without keys. thats why most go directly for car keys, then simply drive the car away.

if your lucky (??) enough to have the keys stolen, but not the car, then 1st port of call would be honda dealers/alarm manufacture - have any immobilizer keys re-programmed; any keys you didnt have would not work.

if you haven't already - report to police as attempted break-in. might be a spate of breaks around you area or something, or if you do find something missing in the future you can atleast goto your insurance company to get it sorted.

never had property broken into. had S's window smashed because some scrote thought they liked my headunit. they didnt get it but it did cost me the windscreen excess to have it replaced.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by veehexx,Apr 4 2009, 04:49 PM
i'd keep car else-where and upgrade garage security

i've had a few ideas in the past, but since i don't have a garage, it's a bit tricky to confirm if they actually work....

security pole directly outside of garage/on your drive way. would stop the garage door being opened, but not very cosmetically pleasing.

dad has put 2 yale locks at the bottom of the garage door at his house - the lock pins are long enough so it would take a rather large bar to provide enough clearance for the door to be opened. 1 each side at the bottom, and the main garage lock is what he uses (3 separate locks all together)

to be honest, if they didn't take your car keys, then it's unlikely they'd be able to get off with your S - immobilizer makes it too difficult for them without keys. thats why most go directly for car keys, then simply drive the car away.

if your lucky (??) enough to have the keys stolen, but not the car, then 1st port of call would be honda dealers/alarm manufacture - have any immobilizer keys re-programmed; any keys you didnt have would not work.

if you haven't already - report to police as attempted break-in. might be a spate of breaks around you area or something, or if you do find something missing in the future you can atleast goto your insurance company to get it sorted.

never had property broken into. had S's window smashed because some scrote thought they liked my headunit. they didnt get it but it did cost me the windscreen excess to have it replaced.
all good advice

I expect they were after tools or anything easily movable and saleable

not to say they wouldn't have taken the car if they could, but that would just be an opportunity not a plan

the fact they didn't vandalise anything is also reassuring
Old 04-04-2009, 09:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by veehexx,Apr 4 2009, 05:49 PM
Never underestimate the ability of car crims.

All the cars security is bypassed when you bring along your own ECU with a programmed key.
Keys are easily obtained from bent traders, as is your address. Think about it.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:01 AM

Thanks for all the advice, I particularly like the idea of wiring the door to the mains, but I could almost guarantee I'd be the one that ended up getting toasted after forgetting to deactivate the trap!
I got a new padlock for the bottom lock today and I'll be using a Disclok too.
I think gaddafi has hit the nail on the head with the likelihood they were after tools etc. Many of the garages in the block have been broken into in past months, most seemed to be being used by plumbers and decorators for storage.
I had previously tried to avoid making the garage look like goodies could be inside by not fitting any external security. One garage with a large bar and two padlocks had the whole frame ripped out.

I'm not going to get a very good night
Old 04-04-2009, 11:38 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Can you pay some very nasty Romanians to live in your garage for a while?
Old 04-04-2009, 01:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Purchase two adult german shepherd dogs and put their beds in the garage
Old 04-04-2009, 03:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Better off putting the dogs in there mate?
Or do you think the crims, being mongrels, will decide to have a nap, and you can catch them at it?