UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

fuel rail / throtle bodies

Old 08-04-2007, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on budget.

I/H/E might net upto 25bhp (V2/Injen CAI ~5bhp, Berk header ~5bhp and T1R 70T/v3 ~15bhp) but it's where those gains are which is more important and I doubt adding those mods would produce anywhere near a 25bhp increase in peak power. Where do you want the gains bottom/top end?

This car is notoriously difficult to tune especially on a modest budget without going ITB/FI. The car is in a very high state of tune out the factory and I still haven't read any reports of upgraded cams consistently increasing power.

Additionally, are you looking for fast acceleration off the line or in gear? If it's the former then I would consider another car because this car was not designed to be a muscle car. If it's the latter then gears are the obvious choice.

Have you considered nitrous - a cheap initial fix and good for 75bhp. Depending on use this might be an option although there would berecurring costs associated.

A final option, and don't take offence to this, would be to take an advanced driving course like the Don Palmers one. There's probably only a few members on here (and this certainly doesn't include me) who actually have the capability to drive this car under control at the limits. Most who have done the advanced driving courses attest that this is the most important factor in performance and I will certainly be doing one in the not too distant future.

HTH
Old 08-04-2007, 11:01 PM

i havent realy got a budget in mind but i dont want to be spendin loads! from the info i have been given the gears seem like the road i need to take but i just havent got the time to do this myself plus i wouldnt no were to start and i need another diff right? (keep the old/new one for when i turn it back to stock to sell it) its all to much hassel and not what am looking for right now, what am lookin for is a quick fix of bhp not realy bothered how much but more the better
Old 08-05-2007, 02:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You need to decide what you want from the car performance wise, not just it "needs to be faster"?

The S in its stock form is already highly tuned the combo of a I/H/E only yields a small gain around 20~bhp (IMO) as "s200k" said, and when you consider the cost of these versus the performance gain its not much bang for buck.

If you want a super fast throw me in the back of my seat car, then you bought the wrong car my friend , though i dont know what the sensation is like in a SC S2000??

You really need to weight up the options and your budget, and decide exactly what you want. Then you and people can formulate an appropriate solution for you.

For me, the FD ticked all the right boxes.

If i were you, i would get the gears costing around
Old 08-05-2007, 02:34 AM

great advice and information guys, thanks! i think i was going to go down the s/c or gears route next year so i might just hold out and wait for that, i was just looking for a few 'little' upgrades to make the car faster through the powerband and of the mark, a little more bhp would not hurt but just want to gain it from little mods like you guys have suggested I/H/E is it worth doing the pullies? injectors? throttle boddies? etc as these are pretty cheap quick fix's what would be my advantages of these little mods. what about a piggy back ecu? like a apexi neo

thanks again guys
Old 08-05-2007, 03:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Search for "unichip" or get an AEM and get the car tuned by Mase when he comes over later this year.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:36 AM

whos mase? and whats a AEM
Old 08-05-2007, 04:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AEM is a make of ECU and mase is the tuning guru from USA.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:04 AM

ahhh i see thanks
Old 08-05-2007, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by a3lkx,Aug 5 2007, 11:34 AM
...want to gain it from little mods like you guys have suggested I/H/E is it worth doing the pullies? injectors? throttle boddies? etc as these are pretty cheap quick fix's
(i) upgrading the pulleys will not yield bhp unless you underdrive the components attached (ie alternator, power steering). Most of the affordable pulleys i've looked at retain the stock dimensions (AEM for example) so the only real benefit (apart from 'bling factor') is a reduction in rotational mass which would be negligible.

(ii) injectors - as discussed before this would require remapping the ECU and since the stock ECU cannot be remapped (unless it's MY06+???) this is not going to be a cheap fix. You would need either a Hondata or AEM EMS. The only logical reason for doing this would be to precede FI installation, which would require another remap (more
Old 08-05-2007, 06:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ook,Aug 5 2007, 02:41 PM
(iii) throttle bodies. ITB's or single? ITB's are notoriously difficult to tune and retain normal idling. I cannot recall anyone in the UK having these fitted.
Foz01, but not a daily driver

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=283997

Quick Reply: fuel rail / throtle bodies