UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Fuel Gauge Problem

Old 07-26-2011, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge Problem

hi Guys i seem to have a problem with my fuel gauge, for some reason when it gets 4 bars below half way it just stops and stays there and does not move until i fill the car back up. has anyone here had the same problem? or know how to sort it out/

thanks

Paul
Old 07-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Keep driving it and see if it goes down further? What is the most amount of fuel you've filled up with when it is like this?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:53 AM

mine is shot - it never shows more than 1/3 of a tank, and two bars left is over half a tank.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The fuel level is basically dictated by a float, this float is on an arm with a electrical contact that registers on 10 contacts IIRC, ie so the lower the fuel level the lower the float sits and thus registers on the lowest electrical contact, think of a needle and gauge.

Its either an electrical problem, grounding, dirty contacts, problem with the gauge or something more serious.

I'd clean all contacts etc then probably remove the fuel pump as its not really that difficult. It wouldn't surprise me if there was some build up on the contact on the fuel pump register itself.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:25 PM

Thanks Guys
Aquila it took 55 of my finest notes today from just under half @ £1.39 per ltr,going to wait until it gets to about 250 miles on the od then fill up a jerry can stick it in the boot and keep going to see if the level drops

Ivatron
cheers mate, will have a look and see if i am able to do this myself with my limited skills as a mechanic i may struggle. dont get my hands dirty too often with the S as im scared i may fook somthing up
Old 08-15-2011, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has started doing funny things too... Started the car to head into town, it had 5 bars on the gauge. Drove 3 miles and it was down to 2 bars but the warning light never came on (usually comes on at 3 bars).

So I put about 15 litres in it when I was in town and it only went up 2 bars so somethings definately up with it

Is there a How To on how to check the float assembly and/or wiring?

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like your gauge is working perfectly fine...and 15 litres...WTF!!! Are you a student?

It goes up and down towards the end as fuel sloshes around in the tank, and is the most non-linear gauage I have ever come across in my entire life.

You would know this if you had searched...there are LOTS of threads describing the same concerns you have,
Old 08-15-2011, 02:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by loftust
Sounds like your gauge is working perfectly fine...and 15 litres...WTF!!! Are you a student?

It goes up and down towards the end as fuel sloshes around in the tank, and is the most non-linear gauage I have ever come across in my entire life.

You would know this if you had searched...there are LOTS of threads describing the same concerns you have,

Its a feature, basically the car is telling you to stop booting it.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

The S2000 gauge is carp, fill it up and a 5L can and run it till you cant hold your breath any more or it starves out, then put in the can, make notes on the gauge/mileage.
..................or get the sender sorted.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:15 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Irvatron
Its a feature, basically the car is telling you to stop booting it.
never stop booting it.

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Problem