UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Fuel Gauge Problem

Old 11-10-2003, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave - Mine's the same. I can set off to work with 3 bars showing and by the time I get there (7 miles) the fuel light is on with no bars left.

I use the trip counter every time, I just don't trust the fuel guage.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:00 PM

I say it's Solar Flares...
One time after I was filled up while the key was in the accessory position the fuel gauge only showed 1 bar! But it ssssllllooowwwlllyy climed back to full after about 20min. Only happend once, but now I get nervous when every I have 2 bars left.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:48 PM
GSi

FWIW, I have never had this problem on the flat, but a long uphill or downhill can cause it to reduce a couple of bars - then it levels out when youre.. on the level..

Also I used to park on a slight slope (from side to side) this caused the differences in the morning (either more or less bars than I had to begin with depending on which way around I parked.

So I guess the sensor is in one corner of the fuel tank. But in general driving, I reckon my gauge is pretty accurate/consistent.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

T.A.D.T.S. as Lotus people say - "They all do that, sir"

The ECU takes in the reading from fuel level sensor, but doesn't send it straight out to the display. Instead, it tweaks it a bit based on what you're current fuel consumption is, then that's the value that's displayed. You don't see this havig any impact, until you're low down the take - I've seen it from around 6 bars or less. Then if you have to tickle the throttle a bit for an incline, or lane change... it can put the gauge down a bit. And later up a bit. I've only noticed it on the motorway when the tank's that low - I reckon there's a much larger change in fule consumption for a bit of throttle on the motorway than the flat.

-Brian.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by Mark Turner
All the time, Dave

It's one of the S2000's quirks. I tend not to pay too much attention to the fuel gauge - I zero the trip counter when I fill up and start to think about filling up anytime between 200 and 250 miles, depending on how I've been driving.
I do the same as Mark and look to fill mine up after every 200 miles or thereabouts. I very rarely keep an eye on the fuel guage unless the yellow light comes on.
Old 11-11-2003, 02:36 AM

I also think it may be to do with the suspension.

Bear with me on this one. The suspension on the S is firmer than on other cars. So as you corner the car and therefore all bits within it do not roll as much. Hence the sensor stays in place more whilst the fluid it is measuring is all over the place. Centrifugal forces will move this around and it will correspondingly rise and fall relevant to the body.

Not much affect maybe but a little none-the-less.

Old 11-11-2003, 03:50 AM

I understand all of your comments, but don't understand why I have only just noticed this in 10k of driving the S.

Thanks anyway guys

Dave
Old 11-11-2003, 04:02 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

have them check to if the fuel sock was hanging up in the gauge assembly. That happened to mine...stuck at 2 bars and I ran out of gas..took it to honda.. thats what they found

hope that helps...

fltsfshr
Old 11-11-2003, 08:12 AM

The S2000 fuel gauge is infamous for being as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest.

I'm sure it tries to give you a fuel-quantity-left-cum-range-left approximation based upon driving style that ends up being uncertain in both cases.

I tend to go by number of miles done since last fill up. My daily driving routine is pretty regular so I know roughly how many miles I'll get. The fuel gauge is a minor distraction nowadays...
Old 11-11-2003, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I like this feature, provides me with endless hours of "entertainment"

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Problem