UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Front tyre wear question ?? Please advise!

Old 04-19-2004, 07:18 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i noticed no change in the cars handling at all. then again it felt fine prior to the tracking being adjusted and i only noticed it because i happened to park once with my wheels on full lock (normally i leave the wheels straight). there was no pull to either side, it ran straight and true with no tramlining and tracked straight when hands were taken off the wheel.

richard
Old 04-19-2004, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get new tyres fitted and have the geo done.
remember the honda frt tyres are directionals, so swapping on rims will not be allowed, any GOOD tyre fitter will not do it.
i had my 4 wheel alignment done with new tyres.. exellent.. now fronts are wearing down on inner edge it gets a bit skittish on wet roads white lines and cats eyes, so im just careful in those conditions, but still perfect in the dry.
dave.
edit: a couple of degrees out is a lot. minutes would be acceptable
Old 04-19-2004, 08:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

you can swap them as though they are directional, they are not assymetric. so as long as the direction of rotation stays the same, you can swap fronts over.

Originally posted by davemac2
get new tyres fitted and have the geo done.
remember the honda frt tyres are directionals, so swapping on rims will not be allowed, any GOOD tyre fitter will not do it.
i had my 4 wheel alignment done with new tyres.. exellent.. now fronts are wearing down on inner edge it gets a bit skittish on wet roads white lines and cats eyes, so im just careful in those conditions, but still perfect in the dry.
dave.
edit: a couple of degrees out is a lot. minutes would be acceptable
Old 04-19-2004, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by davemac2
In fact all four tyres are directional. One is unable to swap wheels around like ordinary wheels in other cars instead the method used to rotate tyres is by means of unmounting them from the wheels and then mounting them on the appropriate side with the right directional setting on them. This is a normal topic of confusion.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:27 AM

Just got the car back from my service from Southern Counties Honda.

I requested that the tyre wear be inspected, and if necessary carry out a 4 wheel alignment.

As it turns out, the technician didnt do the alignment.
Instead he checked the 'front tracking' as said one of the wheels was toeing out by a couple of mm.
He said this would explain the slightly uneven wear.

We shall have to see how the wear goes on new tyres when I get them.!
Old 04-19-2004, 12:10 PM

So to sum up:
They didnt deem an alignment necessary..

I only hope the technician was sure about this!
As I said earlier in this thread, I suffered no handling issues or anything like that.

Cost
Old 04-19-2004, 10:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by lower
i noticed no change in the cars handling at all. then again it felt fine prior to the tracking being adjusted and i only noticed it because i happened to park once with my wheels on full lock (normally i leave the wheels straight). there was no pull to either side, it ran straight and true with no tramlining and tracked straight when hands were taken off the wheel.

richard
No difference to the handling of the car then (as I suspected) but the interesting thing will be to see if tyre wear on the inside edges reduces (I remain sceptical about this also but time will tell no doubt!).

What would be really interesting would be to set the track to 10" toe in and see if that affects the handling or tyre wear (I think that would be the best bet for reducing the inside edge tyre wear but I'm personally going to stick with swapping the tyres over on the front rims every 8k or so).