UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Front tyre wear question ?? Please advise!

Old 04-18-2004, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No handling issues, just the uneven wear.
Maybe the car has been round a lot of left handed bends!!
Old 04-18-2004, 12:29 PM

Rahul's advice is good - swap the fronts now. If you leave it too late to swap them side to side (like I did) , the front end will handle like a pig.
Old 04-18-2004, 04:43 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

in my defence neil i did say "there is no major probs with doing this on part worn tyres" if on the other hand the wear is severly worn this can have negative affects, also with the tyres being pretty low profiles there is less 'give' in the sidewalls and that would explain why your car pulled to one side(tramlining)
Old 04-18-2004, 10:44 PM

They were severley worn! Slick one side of the tyre, normal on the other
Old 04-18-2004, 11:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by euan
Rahul's advice is good - swap the fronts now. If you leave it too late to swap them side to side (like I did) , the front end will handle like a pig.
I agree - better to spend your money now on getting the tyres swapped from rim to rim to even out the wear. I recently had this done due to the exact wear condtions that you are describing (worn on the inside edge and more wear on the driver's side).

In my opinion I think this is because the tracking on this car is supposed to be set to parallel (which may give better turn-in on a rear wheel drive car but will cause the tyres to wear on the inside), and the weight imbalance of the driver when driving a lot of miles one-up causing the osf to wear more (230lbs more on the right side of the car in my case!). My front tyre life, accepting this condition and with a change over on the rims halfway through, will be nudging 20,000 miles and I think this is an acceptable wear rate on this type of car/tyre.

Handling on mine seems OK and I'm a great believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it" (I wouldn't trust any of the tyre places I have ever seen to set up the tracking on my car - never mind any of the other geometry settings - and I'll bet Honda charge an arm and a leg! You get get the tyres swapped over on the rims for as little as
Old 04-19-2004, 01:03 AM

Thanks for the advice guys.
However, with 13,000 miles clocked,(8,000 of which were mine and 5,000 the previous owner) so far on those fronts, I think they may be a bit too far gone to swap !!!
Old 04-19-2004, 01:16 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i had more wear on the inside edge on my front tyres so had an alignment done 3 weeks ago.

no noticable change in any aspect of the car.

tracking was out only a couple of degrees and i can see no reason not to correct it. the deflection in the tyres due to the fact that it is inflated should more than compensate for the couple of mm at most that you would have across the width of the tyre unless it is badly worn.

richard
Old 04-19-2004, 04:14 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lower
i had more wear on the inside edge on my front tyres so had an alignment done 3 weeks ago.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:29 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

pass. it was out enough that the inside edges of the front tyres were considereably more worn that the outside, but the car drove in a straight line and did not pull to one side. the couple of degrees comment came from the mechanic who did it. he said it was only slightly out (ie a couple of degrees, his words not mine).
Old 04-19-2004, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by lower
pass. it was out enough that the inside edges of the front tyres were considereably more worn that the outside, but the car drove in a straight line and did not pull to one side. the couple of degrees comment came from the mechanic who did it. he said it was only slightly out (ie a couple of degrees, his words not mine).
I'm guessing that what he meant was that it was a couple of increments out on the track gauge and I assume the increments would be 5" each meaning your tracking was 10" out. With tyre wear on the inside of the tyres possibly due to toe out I'm guessing your car's track was resting at 0 degrees and 10 minutes toe out before the adjustment (and was adjusted back to parallel). According to the FAQ's on this site this was at one end of the tolerance for this setting.

If I'm right that this was a very fine adjustment I would be interested to know if you have noticed any improvement in the tyre wear since, or any change to the handling, "hands off stability", etc.

Quick Reply: Front tyre wear question ?? Please advise!