UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Front Number Plate Question

Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Number Plate Question

Had a search and couldn't find much.

I'm after removing my front number plate plinth and either fitting the plate directly to the bumper or fitting a smaller one and bunging the holes.

What have people used to bung the holes one of the threads I found said keyhole things but couldn't find any more info. Can you buy them ready painted?

Also is it a bumper off job?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll find our uk cars have big square holes as well. The US just have a few small holes that Honda sell plugs for.

I got mine smoothed.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:45 AM

Only had a quick look when I fitted my private plate however really dislike the look of the black mount.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:01 AM

I recently took my plinth off and was left with 6 holes. I made some aluminium blanks to push into the outside holes and covered the inside holes up with a 12x3 motorbike plate. And yes it is a bumper off job
Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 AM

I just had the holes plastic welded and the whole bumper resprayed for £180. Mounted the number plate on a retractable mount from the US.

Thought of the idea myself too....didn't copy anyone else on here
Old 10-22-2012, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpMaster
I just had the holes plastic welded and the whole bumper resprayed for £180. Mounted the number plate on a retractable mount from the US.

Thought of the idea myself too....didn't copy anyone else on here
Exactly what I'll be doing! Well a small 5 character plate vs a standard one or US shape.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:02 AM

Anyone got pictures of the holes? contemplating doing this but don't make it look worse.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:06 AM

I bought 13mm blanking grommets from Halfords and painted them body colour. Simples!!
Old 10-22-2012, 11:25 AM

I've got a full sized plate mounted in the normal place, but without the plinth - and it just covers the holes.

You should really take the bumper off to remove the plinth, otherwise you'll make the holes worse when you pull it off. I didn't, but I'm getting my bumper resprayed anyway
Old 10-22-2012, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Scottland
I've got a full sized plate mounted in the normal place, but without the plinth - and it just covers the holes.

You should really take the bumper off to remove the plinth, otherwise you'll make the holes worse when you pull it off. I didn't, but I'm getting my bumper resprayed anyway
I've read on here that waiting until a hot summers day [or perhaps using a hair dryer?] will soften the bumper that tiny bit, providing enough 'give' to simply pull the plinth off without any issues. I've still not done it myself in the fear of ruining the bumper!

Do you have any pics of the standard sized plate on the bumper without the plinth? It would be good to see how it 'just covers the holes' - and whether the holes are viewable from a side angle...

Quick Reply: Front Number Plate Question