UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Found a screw in my tyre!

Old 04-12-2004, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found a screw in my tyre!

Guys, any advice would be appreciated.........

This morning as I locked my car up I noticed a screw head sticking out of my rear nearside tyre. It's almost to the edge and is very slightly leaking (checked with water poured on)

I'm guessing it can't be repaired due to the position? I suppose my main question is, do I need to replace both rears (done 5,500 miles so far) or is it ok to put just one on?

This is so frustrating, the third one in 6 months....the first repaired, second at a very shallow angle so pulled out, so I guess it's third time unlucky for me!

Anyone advise?

Thanks in advance. Lazzer

p.s. can anyone confirm exactly what model bridgestone it is? Thx
Old 04-12-2004, 05:48 AM

I had a similar problem with a nail - "Do I change both tyres?". The left rear was okay - 5mm - the right rear had the nail and was replaced with a new tyre, around 7mm tread I think.

I have not felt anything out of the ordinary whilst driving, albeit with 2mm tread difference.

The tyre spec is in the tech faq section, ya muppet!!

HTH

Graham

Old 04-12-2004, 07:30 AM

Cheers Graham...........

Ben
Old 04-12-2004, 09:54 AM

TTT

Anyone else want to comment on what must be a pretty common question from Ben ???
Old 04-12-2004, 10:02 AM

I had this a few months ago. I took the route of replacing the tyre straight away because:

a: I really didn't like the thought of 240bhp bring channelled through a "repaired" tyre (this was purely my opinion, it might be perfectly ok )

b: My rears don't last more than 4k anyway so they could never be that far out of sync
Old 04-12-2004, 11:09 AM

Anyone else's opinion please guys?? Do I put one on or fork out the extra for two. As previously stated, car has done 5,500 miles from new and is on it's first set. Hasn't been driven like a granny but hasn't been ragged on a daily basis either.........

p.s. found so2's at
Old 04-12-2004, 12:06 PM

Depends on the difference in tread Lazz - if you haven't been too heavy on the tyres, I may be tempted to replace just the one. The type of driving you do would also make a difference - if you just take the S out when it's dry, the tread variation is less important than in if you will be using it in the wet (varying water volume clearance, so varying grip I'm guessing).

That price sounds good from my-tyres (I got my winter tyres from them and they were excellent) - just be sure they are exactly the right sort, as I haven't seen the proper S02s on-line before anywhere (there are different versions if you don't already know). You will have to budget
Old 04-12-2004, 12:12 PM

I know we are talking about
Old 04-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

All down to personal preference but I'm happy to drive on repaired tyres. Rahul's point is perfectly valid - what price safety? I just don't think there are any risks with a professionally repaired tyre myself. The repair will cost no more than
Old 04-12-2004, 12:44 PM

I was advising new tyres only on the asumption that it could not be repaired. Gadaffi is right, if the tyre can be fixed then I would have no hesitation in using it unless I was going to use that tyre on the track. I had a large screw in my rear too which was patched with one of those eye hole jobbie things and I was happy with that and wouldn't worry about it.

Quick Reply: Found a screw in my tyre!