UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Folding the softtop wet?

Old 04-22-2004, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Folding the softtop wet?

Is there any problem folding the roof down wet, obviously if you stored it down for a few days it could get mouldy but is it okay to drop it when it is wet or should you wait a mile ot two till the air has dried it out before dropping it?
Old 04-22-2004, 02:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

personally, i drop it if its wet and the weather is nice as i will be putting it up again at the end of the journey and it can dry then. i can't see it affecting the materials it is made up of for that short period of time.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:55 AM

I spent the first 2 months of ownership being scrupulous about only dropping the top if it is dry - I live in the West Coast of Scotland so - for abvious reasons - I gave up on that discipline ages ago

I've found the hood doesn't fold as completely when cold / wet (it's usually both ) and there are some faint marks appearing over the frame on the hood - but I couldn't say if it's due to folding when wet.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:05 AM

eccelent, was dropping it anyway but might have a look behind the seats to check there is no water collecting anywhere, shouldn't be but first time i put it up after i'd had the hardtop on there was a rubber grommet inside, have to check where it came from just encase.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:21 AM

drive fast for half a mile or so and the rain falls off then drop the top whilst at the traffic lights.... this bit annoys the chavs
Old 04-22-2004, 04:28 AM

Originally posted by Crusoe
eccelent, was dropping it anyway but might have a look behind the seats to check there is no water collecting anywhere, shouldn't be but first time i put it up after i'd had the hardtop on there was a rubber grommet inside, have to check where it came from just encase.
Obviously just a guess, but I'd check the metal brackets on the hardtop. There should be two of them, about 1/3 of the way in from the edges of the rear screen and each if supposed to have a little rubber "foot" - they seem to be a device to prevent you lifting the hood when the hardtop is on. Both of mine fell out when I first removed the hardtop and it took a while to realise where they belonged.

Cheers,
Rich...
Old 04-22-2004, 04:31 AM

will do, cheers
Old 04-22-2004, 04:35 AM

I wouldn't like to leave it folded for more than a couple of hours when wet.

If I am heading off on a long journey (usually at the crack of dawn, so hood usually wet) I dry off what I can with a towel before I go, then drive for a few miles with the heater on full blast before stopping and dropping the hood.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I dry it out first, then drop it
Old 04-22-2004, 10:53 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by euan
I wouldn't like to leave it folded for more than a couple of hours when wet.

Quick Reply: Folding the softtop wet?