UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

The Floppy Saga (Formerly The Transplant)

Old 10-17-2014, 04:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Floppy,

See page 19-15 of the service manual if you have it for the fronts. the pin with the flat bits goes on the top.
Page 19-25 has the rears, where the pin with the flat bolts goes on the bottom.

Those pages also show how everything fits together. Some of this grease is ok for the slider pins http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and there are a few threads on this with some useful suggestions - search for Red Rubber grease.

The boots hold the pins in place, you fit the boot to the carrier, and then push the pin through theboot into the slider and the boot will catch the lip on pin. I found it a bit of a fiddle but got there in the end, and if I can do it, anyone can
I'm impressed with your technical knowledge LG

Thanks for this info, I think I just figured there is a very small groove in the carrier where the boot will seat but I don't have the service manual...I'll have to re-download it and take a look. Its the position of the flat sections that I'll have to take a look at to make sure they're in the right position too as they seem to just rotate freely regardless of which hole you put them in... oooh err

I'll see if I can get some decent grease locally as I want them together today if I can manage it. With the new road tax rules I can't drive any of my stock unless its on trade plates so I'm desperate to get it back on the road asap now.

Originally Posted by unclefester
edit: what LG said If you put the pins in the wrong way around you can cause them to bind through heat, that's what the bevelling is for so the hottest pin doesn't seize in the slider.
Thanks for the heads up, thats the last thing I want with them only just being done!

flybikeslee - I had to have a replacement piston from Honda on one of the rears due to severe pitting so it would come in at just under £350 for all 4 at retail price...thankfully I got a bit of trade discount. If your pistons are ok then it'll be just under £300 with them finished in your choice of paint colour. If you don't have them painted I'm guessing its a bit cheaper but I don't know how much cheaper.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this kind of shows you how the pins go

Old 10-17-2014, 04:07 AM

Ah so the flat section on the slider pin faces the locator hole for where the carrier attaches to the hub. That corresponds with what I've just managed to see on one of the front carriers when shining a torch into the hole.

Any recommendations on grease apart from stuff thats ordered online?
Old 10-17-2014, 06:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some recommend that ceratech stuff. Personal I use copper grease.

Along will come the flamers stating its no good but it works just fine.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:18 AM

I'm about to head out and collect some Cera Tech from Euro Car Parts along with some more ATE Super Blue, thanks for the recommendation though Mike
Old 10-17-2014, 06:18 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Floppy
Ah so the flat section on the slider pin faces the locator hole for where the carrier attaches to the hub. That corresponds with what I've just managed to see on one of the front carriers when shining a torch into the hole.

Any recommendations on grease apart from stuff thats ordered online?
If you've a motor factor near you, try for silicone grease, red rubber grease or ceratec. I'm sure they'll have something suitable.