UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Flat battery no radio code, any ideas?

Old 04-19-2006, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat battery no radio code, any ideas?

Hi all

My battery went flat whilst I was away on honeymoon (no big deal, jump started it and it is holding a good charge). Trouble is that the radio is now asking for a code. I've gone through all the paperwork I got when I bought the car (second hand) and I don't have the code.

I tried calling Bristol Honda, who sold the car knew and they don't keep records far enough back. I can book in and get a Honda dealer to re-code it, but before I do I thought I'd see if anyone knew any other way that would save me the cost and the hassle.

Thanks all, see some of you at Bedford on the 29th!
Ewan
Old 04-19-2006, 04:21 AM

Depends which head unit it is, there is a trick, I think pressing a couple of buttons down, this will give you a code which Honda can look up to give you the actual code.

If not then either stereo out job and the code can be got from the serial number, again by Honda, or as above a recode would be needed.

Or you could put it in the freezer, this alledgedly removes the code, however I think this is an old wives tale told by people selling stolen stereos so I wouldn't try it.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:26 AM

Depends how knowledgeable your local dealer.

Mine tapped in this code that Simon's talking about to get the serial number for the stereo. He then typed it in on thier systems got me the code for the stereo.

Simple as that (if it's OEM). Some might charge, mine didn't.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:55 AM

Have a double check through your service book - that's where mine was.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:38 AM

Thanks all - Vixen I had another flick through and couldn't find it...probably just being an idiot - whereabouts is yours?

I've also received a kind PM from someone who works for Honda and reckons he can help me sort it over the phone with just my reg number, so if I still can't find the code I'll call him tonight and go from there.

Thanks again!
Ewan
Old 04-19-2006, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Vixen,Apr 19 2006, 03:55 PM
Have a double check through your service book - that's where mine was.
Mine is on a little Honda card in the service handbook cover thing.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:53 AM

When I bought my S and send it to Cyprus, the guys who shipped it, left the key on the ignition and it arrived with a flat battery. I replaced it but had the same problem with the radio. After searching everywhere, I noticed that my car was originally purchased from Chiswick Honda. I send them an emai and they asked me to turn off the radio, press and hold the #1 and #6 preset buttons and turn the radio back on. That way, your serial number will appear! It will be in the form U:#### and then L####... Your serial number is the 4 digits after the U and the four digits after the L.
Give the SN to your dealer and they will give you the unlock code. If they don't, try Honda UK or Chiswick
Old 04-19-2006, 12:01 PM

That is what I was getting at but didn't want the information accessable by all !!
Old 04-19-2006, 12:08 PM

Don't worry about that Simon, no-one reads these threads anyway.

Besides, only 103 views that means approx 75 owners will be fiddling with their radios this evening trying to get the numbers.

Only things are;

1 - It don't work if it is a Bose unit (But don't tell you-know-who).

2 - It don't work if the radio already has it's code

So if you don't say anything, I wont.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:21 PM

Why not? That is the way to figure out the SN without removing the radio. If someone steals it, he won't be needing this trick to find it, since it's written on the back
Besides, who would bother stealing an OEM Honda radio?

Anyway, if you guys still think it's inappropriate, I will remove the information

Quick Reply: Flat battery no radio code, any ideas?