UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Fitting a Mugen exhaust.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:24 PM
PJD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fitting a Mugen exhaust.

Disclaimer: I've just been searching for 10 mins and can't find the comments I remember reading (a long while back) in regards to fitting this exhaust...

I know a couple of people on here who have this exhaust fitted and the pipes don't line up perfectly when viewed from the back, either that, or one pipe protudes slightly further from the rear skirting when viewed from the side.

I also remember reading a couple of tips - you should do X before Y, then you can fine ajust where alignment of the pipes...???

Would anyone be so kind as to repeat these tips that I know you know of!?

There's a few of us who are just about to fit this exhaust from the GB, so any comments will be greatly appreciated

Old 10-30-2008, 03:32 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

These might help you!

Removing OEM
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=173247

Fitting new (Not Mugen but it's all the same)
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...&f=22&t=481772
Old 10-30-2008, 03:39 PM
PJD

Thankyou MB! Thorough writes ups there, I'll have a look at those tomorrow.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PJD - TGM fitted mine, Tom knows what he is doing and I believe you are going there so dont worry about it, he even polished it for me after it was on, without me asking!

Mine doesnt line up, neither does ninebolts, and I believe MikeyK has the same issue, we have all fitted the newer AP2 design. It is only a small imperfection that one tail pipe sticks out about 10mm further on one side, I think the berk decat may be responsible but you never know! Let us know how you get on!

Not updated my thread yet, but I have the Mugen CAI and Mugen N1 ECU fitted, which I can't recommend enough on and above the exhaust, if you want gains.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry13008299
Old 10-31-2008, 01:18 AM
PJD

Aha - that's the thread I remember reading, particularly this part:

"
Chrisr111:
Sti, My Mugen exhaust lines up absolutely perfectly.

Apparently to get the alignement perfect you need to bolt up the larger bit of the exhaust to the cat (or decat in your case) first and then bolt the smaller (left hand box) onto the larger bit. Doing it like this allows you to make a small amount of adjustment to the LH side.
"

Not sure what cat or decat Chrisr111 has got, I've got a J's racing decat - whether that'll make a difference or is the same length as the berk, - I'll let you know...

I will have a look into that N1 ECU - I want to buy coilovers at some stage also, - its just a case of how much money I can justify spending on toys for my car

Cheers
Old 10-31-2008, 01:28 AM

PJD- After reading that I took the car back to TGM and they had another look at it, they is no room to move in the exhaust joints so there is no adjustment, and ninebolts and mikeyk have the same issue. I have the berk decat which may not be completely straight and never tried fitment with the OEM cat!

If you want coilovers same your money for Ohlins DFV , I dont believe the Tein or KW are anyway near as good, but as the yen has gone through the roof I dont think I will be spending much more either. Perhaps you should get the manifold next, it is a completely different design to the OEM and gives a very nice metallic sound.

Give my regards to Tom, Adrian
Old 02-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Community Organizer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just had my Mugen AP2 exhaust fitted. The exhaust does not line up properly . Has anybody managed to successfully resolve this issue?
Old 02-20-2010, 12:00 PM

Old 02-20-2010, 01:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by haroonsarwar,Feb 20 2010, 09:47 PM
Just had my Mugen AP2 exhaust fitted. The exhaust does not line up properly . Has anybody managed to successfully resolve this issue?
Hang the exhaust first and it will line up. If it doesn't line up on the left side as you look from the rear, then unscrew the bolts of the left pipe/resonator. Then play a bit with the bolts and angle to line it up. The three bolts/nuts on the decat (or cat) should be the last part tightened.

If this doesn't resolve the problem, then get few tie-wraps and use them to lift from the "hangers" the resonator which is lower. I had a difference of few mm on my Mugen AP2 Exhaust as well, and I have sorted it out by using those tie-wraps.

By the way I've got the OEM cat.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:26 AM
Community Organizer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Marios-will give that a go

Quick Reply: Fitting a Mugen exhaust.