UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Fitting Cusco anti roll bars help

Old 02-13-2007, 01:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Fitting Cusco anti roll bars help

I'm in need of some help.

I'm trying to fit a pair of Cusco anti roll bars but I've run into a small problem. So far I've jacked the rear end up, removed the rear wheels, and started trying to undo the nut which connects the ARB to the top of the drop link. I noticed that you need to have a small allen key in the centre to stop the whole thing from spinning, and this is really slowly me down. I've always thought this was such a stupid design.

However my problem is that I can get the nut off so far, and then it locks up, and no matter now hard I try neither of these nuts will come off. Any ideas?

I'm really worried about rounding off the allen key head.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've almost rounded off one of those allen bolts in the past. I'm trying to visualise the bolt in question to offer some assistance but all I can think of is the use of plusgas and 24 hour soak time. Have you tried threading the bolt back up and inspecting the thread where the nut becomes jammed?

Old 02-13-2007, 02:06 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by j8mie,Feb 13 2007, 10:29 AM
However my problem is that I can get the nut off so far, and then it locks up, and no matter now hard I try neither of these nuts will come off. Any ideas?

I'm really worried about rounding off the allen key head.
Lots of penetration spray, leave if for a few days and then more penetration spray ....

I trashed one of the drop links when I replaced my rear wishbones.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:28 AM

The nuts I'm trying to take off are #26 on your diagram PL.

Well I've worked one of the nuts back up the thread and cleaned the thread out of any guck. I then worked it back and forth and this seems to have done the trick. However the other side is being a royal b1tch. I now won't do up again, and the allen key is rounding itself off nicely.

Looks like I'll need to remove the bottom nut on this drop link and cut the f**ker off and replace the drop link.

Lets just hope all this fuss is worth it. So I've been working on this since 9 this morning and I have one f**king nut off to show for it.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:38 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Same with the camber adjusters;

Steven's tip with the Plus Gas over a few days seems to work best.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could always try tapping a torx bit into the allen socket, if it is a little oversized, it can sometimes go in and give you a little more torque. I know it is a bit of a bodge, but it might be worth a go.

I've got torx bits if you need to borrow them, but I suspect you've already got the kit if you're attempting this on your own.

You took the day off work to do this? I guess the weather is OK.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:59 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

That's a good idea!

They usually come with cheap bit kits, so I suppose you could 'press' one in for a better bite.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:10 AM

Turns out my Dad had an impact set with some hex bolts in, so I was able to use on eof these and and adaptor and a 1/2 " drive bar to get the final nut off.

I think soaking the thread in some WD40 also helped.

I now have the mounts off, however I'm just fighting with the arb, to try and get it off the car. Looks like I'll need to drop one of the existing exhaust boxes to make enough room.

DOn#t think I'll have time to do the front one today as well
Old 02-13-2007, 11:34 AM

Thanks for all the help folks, and for the offer to borrow tools. I've been very lucky with the weather today. It wasn't cold, windy or raining, in fact it was perfect for working on the car.

Well I finally got those nuts off the drop links, and easily undid the four bracket bolts. Next problem was getting the roll bar out. I removed the rear arm bar, and started on dropping the exhaust out, however those three bolts from the CAT to rear section wouldn't move. So I had to put it all back to standard as I need the car for the rest of the week

I'll get some Plus Gas and keep applying some on the exhaust bolts and anything I've got to take off to fit the front ARB.

I'll probably have a go at the front this weekend, so expect to see this thread near the top on Saturday. I don't like being beaten on car modifying.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by j8mie,Feb 13 2007, 08:34 PM
I'll probably have a go at the front this weekend, so expect to see this thread near the top on Saturday. I don't like being beaten on car modifying.
It's so demoralising when you set out to do something and then get stuck not being able to undo the first nut.

I replaced all the droplinks on my FTO, and had exactly the same problem. After getting the first one horribly stuck and getting a friend with an angle grinder to cut through it, I realised the thing to do is clean up and grease the exposed bit of thread first. The others then came off easy.

Quick Reply: Fitting Cusco anti roll bars help