UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Fitted a DAB head unit

Old 03-17-2013, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great idea, just done the same - all nicely installed, DAB works a treat. Recommended for anyone contemplating a HU upgrade.

thanks all
Old 03-17-2013, 10:49 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by pmba
Argh, hit a snag, don't have the 5mm x 8mm tapping screws needed to fit the Honda unit's brackets on to the pioneer so will have to get some tomorrow with it being Sunday...
I think I stole them from the outgoing unit along with the brackets?

Or else I had them anyway...
Old 07-19-2013, 02:21 AM

Hi, I recently bought a S2000 (2005) and I promise I will say Hi in the correct area but I have a quick question about this set-up... I've installed an autoleads DAB aerial in the top left of the screen, I have a Pioneer DEH-X8500DAB head unit and does anyone know if this unit powers the aerial via the coax? I get 'no signal' when scanning and I powered the aerial from the ignition connection (12v red lead) using the 2nd 12v power lead of the aerial but still no signal.

Any idea's or help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

James.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:36 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

you need to run power to it, it says that it doesnt provide power in the headunit manual i think but either way you can test it, there's no power on the coax

have you earthed the aerial ok? the only time i get an issue is a little blackspot in Newark near where i get the train, about 200 yds long. f@#k knows why.

i've the same setup as you
Old 07-19-2013, 03:20 AM

Anyone using or know if Modifry control works with dab head unit?
Old 07-19-2013, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
you need to run power to it, it says that it doesnt provide power in the headunit manual i think but either way you can test it, there's no power on the coax

have you earthed the aerial ok? the only time i get an issue is a little blackspot in Newark near where i get the train, about 200 yds long. f@#k knows why.

i've the same setup as you
Thanks Nottm_S2 - I have connected the 2nd (12v power) lead to the red lead on the harness so it hooks into the ignition rather than always on. Not that these aerials use a lot of power!!

I earthed the aerial by sticking the copper based pad to the inside of the A-pillar, onto the painted part of the interior. Would you recommend that I rub it down to metal to ensure a good contact? I assume if not grounded then it won't work? Strange with the blackspot but I'm sure as it becomes more 'mainstream' those should be ironed out over time!! (Well, hopefully!!!)

Thanks again,

James.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:39 AM

hmm, i just looked at mine and i just stuck it on to a pillar as is:

full signal for me

Old 07-19-2013, 06:55 AM

hmm, i just looked at mine and i just stuck it on to a pillar as is:

full signal for me

Hmmm... That is EXACTLY how I have mine too!!! D'oh! I think I'll have to get the multi-meter out to make sure that 12v is getting to the aerial from the harness then. Strange why it's not working - I don't suppose you know which power connector you used when you fitted? I think it's as follows:

Yellow - always on
Red - Ignition
Blue - remote (for amp mainly?)

I connected to yellow initially, then red and both the same 'no signal'.

Really appreciate your help with this and hopefully we'll get to the bottom of it!
Old 07-19-2013, 07:30 AM

maybe your aerial is duff?

i went for the ignition +ve (so red i guess)

the lead is long enough that if you find another S owner local you could plug into their aerial i guess? mine works like this really well for 19.9 miles of my commute
Old 07-19-2013, 07:44 AM

maybe your aerial is duff?

i went for the ignition +ve (so red i guess)

the lead is long enough that if you find another S owner local you could plug into their aerial i guess? mine works like this really well for 19.9 miles of my commute
That is a complete possibility!! I hadn't even thought of that.....

Yeah, sounds right and to be fair it's not exactly difficult electronics (I may have to eat humble pie at some point though!).

lol - that is ALL good then!! Hopefully I'll be able to sort it this weekend and have a full 12 miles of coverage!!

Quick Reply: Fitted a DAB head unit