UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

First Trackday!

Old 02-10-2012, 10:25 AM
SiT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WinFreak
Mine's just been cancelled for tomorrow

Guess it's understandable with the weather but I was looking forward to it!
Castle Combe have been mulling it over all day but at 4p decided it was go go go!!!! Going to take it proper steady in this weather!

Let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Si
Old 02-14-2012, 01:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How was it? Are you still alive?
Old 02-14-2012, 05:37 AM
SiT

Here I am!!!! Great experience and very well organised, top marks to the team at Bookatrack.

Spent the morning feeling my way round and getting my head round the track and it's corners, particularly Quarry!!

I felt quite intimidated in the morning though and found myself not completing as many laps as I would have liked I don't think. Booked myself a half hour session with an instructor after lunch which was great and gave me much more confidence in the car and to some degree my own abilities. Found myself doing some rather hot laps and felt the track flowed smoothly and naturally.

I called it a day after the instructor session and had a few passenger laps with my buddy who hired a BAT Caterham R300 which was rapid!!!

Contrary to some of the comments above I wasnt hooked by it and don't think I will be doing anymore. I found myself constantly thinking about the consequences of having an off and the extra stress and wear being placed on the car. I needed to drive my car home at the end of the day and use it daily so just couldn't justify risking it at further trackdays.

It was certainly experience and really showed me what the car could do but don't think they are for me.

Thanks for all the advice and pointers from everyone it certainly helped me be a bit more prepared for it.

Si
Old 02-14-2012, 01:57 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If it's any assurance - these cars are bloody strong, and load of us abuse ours on track regularly, and then drive home.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My idea is its been designed to take a beating on the track so whatever I do to it can't be too bad

Shame you didn't have the outcome most predicted though, am wondering what I will say when I come back from Bedford next weekend
Old 02-14-2012, 11:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar feeling the first track day I day a few years back. Really enjoyed it but was worried about destroying the car. This was in a pulsar gtir running around 420bhp and i'd pretty much trashed the brakes and tyres by lunch. I bought the s2000 after alot of looking around as to what i could buy that would put up with the abuse and the s2k seemed perfect for it
Old 02-15-2012, 08:40 AM
SiT

I think for me the solution would be to have a track car (106/Clio) stripped out and solely for track use so if I had a bump or an off it wouldn't be a huge problem. However I don't have enough money to justify that and with an 18 month old daughter it's out of the question really.

I also questioned how long the novelty and racing round and round the same circuit would last for? I enjoy cars and am a petrolhead through and through but if I am honest with myself I think I would tire quite quickly of racing around a track all day.

I guess it's horses for courses and my quest for a hobby continues.....

Si