UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

First decent long run

Old 02-04-2006, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First decent long run

Decided to go for a run on Friday, couldn't wait any longer for the good weather to come.

Initially went out from Aberdeen towards Braemar and after the first hour or so I was rather fed up, wet roads, lots of tootering about behind slow traffic, always something coming the other way in the straights so unable to pass.

I was beginning to wonder if I'd done the right thing by getting the Honda, should have left the money in the bank, lesser mortgage e.t.c.

Anyhow after Aboyne I turned off towards Strathdon hoping for an improvement. Funny how your mood can change so quickly, this road was excellent, grippy surface and hardly any traffic. Ended up going to the Lecht ski centre then turned around and back to Aberdeen, all the time quality roads with little traffic, still a bit wet but no problems, the car felt very stable and handled brilliantly.

I'm now thoroughly chuffed with it, it's the most fun I've had in any car for a long time and I'm very glad I bought one. Just what I needed after 3 weeks on night shift.

The only down side of course was that the car was spotless in the morning and completely covered in dirt after getting home and need a good clean, but thats a small price to pay, gave me something to do on Saturday morning.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:40 PM

You are so lucky having great roads and that they are empty

I try to get in the S as much as I can but the roads are chokkers in the south compared to your beauttiful area. The best "pleasure"drive I had recently was on Christmas Day morning............clear blue sky nothing on the roads A272 was a "Fine" experience

Enjoy the S mate !
Old 02-04-2006, 11:47 PM

I always enjoy a drive on quiet roads the like of which you have up there, even in wet conditions - slower speeds and factor is countered by the challenge of driving as smoothly as you can to keep between the ditches.

I guess it gets much mroe congested the closer you get to Aberdeen, but A93 from Blairgowrie northwards, and A939, Tomintoul, Lecht etc are some of the finest roads in Scotland. Tomintoul to Grantown road is also a goodie, with some tricky corners to get right
Old 02-04-2006, 11:53 PM

I am up in Aberdeen a couple of times a month and always try to come back via Braemar if I have time - great fun especially as I'm technically working at the time!

Managed top down all the way back to Glasgow last week and spent Saturday vacuuming several pounds of gritters salt out of the carpets
Old 02-05-2006, 12:03 AM

TTIUWP.

Glad you are enjoying her.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by rjsalpha,Feb 5 2006, 08:40 AM
You are so lucky having great roads and that they are empty

I try to get in the S as much as I can but the roads are chokkers in the south compared to your beauttiful area. The best "pleasure"drive I had recently was on Christmas Day morning............clear blue sky nothing on the roads A272 was a "Fine" experience

Enjoy the S mate !
Agree, best time is 6am on a summer sunday. How about a dawn run club?

Jellyfish, enjoy your open roads now, by summer the caravans will provide a challenge
Old 02-05-2006, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by baptistsan,Feb 5 2006, 09:03 AM
TTIUWP.

This is just off the Cockbridge-Tomintoul road. Usually first in Scotland to shut if there is any snow - always a good sign of a road.

Jellyfishfield will have travelled up or down the road in the background.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:54 AM

Saturday was great up in aberdeen very sunny, no wind and the roads were getting dry (still abit skidy).
i went for a drive duel carrage way style from Aberdeen through to peterhead.
Anyone who knows that road will tell you it is fantastic for overtaking and so many straights.
I came back via mintlaw on the fraserbourgh (the Broch) road.
that is something else, really enjoyable and the car was really opening up. Although in the S compared to my other v-tec cars i find stays in the v-tec longer ( i.e takes longer to the limiter??).

I think a good convoy up to and accross to orkney would be the way forward. the roads are tricky but have 1-2mile straights frequently and its a beautiful island. the photos would look sensational.

Thank god some crazy jap invented the s2000

im away out to clean her
Old 02-05-2006, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Get out there with the Jocks, man on a proper run!
Old 02-05-2006, 08:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Lecht Slalom

Quick Reply: First decent long run