UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

First Car Share lane in the UK

Old 03-20-2006, 05:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how much congestion the lane widening will cause vs how much the projected savings will be ?
Old 03-20-2006, 05:03 AM

Get bloody lorries off the road to solve congestion. Lorries slow everything down, take up 5x the space of a car and are totally unrequired if we get a solid national rail haulage system in place where lorries or vans are only required to do shorter journeys from rail depots to businesses.

Seriously, go for a drive and note the times that the traffic bungs up. It's nearly always because of Farmer John on his tractor or a group of lorries switching around overtaking each other.

P.S. Chris I haven't forgotton you - mixed results so far, seeing how she goes.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by moff,Mar 20 2006, 10:44 AM
When our roads are already at capacity we are trying either reduce their capacity or spend money on this crap.
No, what we need to do is prevent people driving at 50-60mph in the middle lane holding everyone up.

This should carry a minimum
Old 03-20-2006, 12:42 PM

I'd give people a lift to work but no way do I trust my life with someone elses driving unless I am confident in them!

Oh yeah and few people go to the same sites or customers as I do, when I do, who live ANYWHERE near me.

The article wouldn't load, but apparantly this is what the M1 roadworks are for too.

Nice fluffy idea, total waste of time in reality. Better off spending the money improving public transport so that MIGHT be viable AND affordable some of the time!!!!
Old 03-20-2006, 01:37 PM

Worst idea ever

The idea of widening roads is to reduce congestion, so why now effectively cut back the number of lanes? I think it will create more problems.

Also there are already obvious huge benefits to car sharing, I doubt if many people will suddenly switch because of this development.

Hope they scrap this idea if it turns out not to work.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:41 PM

Nobody's touched yet on personal safety when sharing a car with a complete stranger...
Old 03-20-2006, 01:44 PM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=UK_S2000,Mar 20 2006, 04:41 PM] No, what we need to do is prevent people driving at 50-60mph in the middle lane holding everyone up.

This should carry a minimum
Old 03-20-2006, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by LTB,Mar 20 2006, 10:44 PM
One slight flaw to your scheme is that you'd actually need real live coppers to police it and we all know there's fack all chance of that happening.
Possibly civilian contractors could collect the revenue generated by fines ? Oh, wait that's just silly
Old 03-21-2006, 02:50 AM

I think the idea of car sharing is great. However the current suggested method of implementing is unworkable and a waste. Of course it doesn't help people who have to use the car for work and not just commuting but there are millions of people who drive to and back from work and nothing more. Creating an extra lane or two but allocating it for sharing will not work in this country because the distances travelled on average are very short. Personally I would like to see heavy investment in an integrated public transport network but this will cost billions.

I think we need other motivations & incentives for sharing cars with colleagues or people who work in the same vicinity as the driver. An idea might be for the local neighbourhood to organise exchange of details for people who work in the same area to get in touch and arrange to share a car. The owner of the car would be paid for a share of the costs by the people sharing and everyone would benefit. Of course all this would be on a voluntary basis. We also need to get more schools to either use school buses or mothers arranging car sharing too. In the afternoon it becomes murder trying to drive around all the 4x4 and MPVs.

Extra lanes are more useful if all lanes are full and used to capacity but I know this hasn't worked on the M25. There are now sections of 5 lanes but the traffic isn't moving any faster. What has however happened is that the cars are spread out further apart. Hardly anyone uses lanes 1 or 2 and as such it has been a failure, on top of the time, delays and money spent while building this roadwork.

I too think that trucks should be banned but only during the rush hour. Only cars allowed during 7am to 10am and again from 4pm to 8pm. This will be very beneficial to all. It could/would probably mean that the cost of goods we buy will be slightly higher as the truck drivers will have to be paid more for working hours during the night etc.

Did anyone spot the spin on the press release for the lane sharing? More police patrol cars to monitor legitimate use of the lane. Right! What happens to the money from speed cameras? Where are the extra police now? Nonsense and spin as usual.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:04 AM

I totally agree with Rahula - take the lorries off the roads in the rush hour. They have to take breaks anyway so why not make them co-incide with rush hour? A halfway house would be ban them from the middle lane during rush hour.

This would mean that the existing roads would be used far more efficiently with relatively little outlay.

Granted, lorry drivers would have the hump but they too, get stuck in jams. A deal on their tax might help keep them happy?

It makes me wonder why it hasnt been tried.... here or elsewhere. Or has it?

Quick Reply: First Car Share lane in the UK