UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

First Car Share lane in the UK

Old 03-20-2006, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Car Share lane in the UK

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/4822808.stm

At the moment, entitlement is more than one person per car, so we're okay
Old 03-20-2006, 01:34 AM

Depending on which side of the carriageway it is on I can see some potential danger problems.

Inside lane, they will be undertaking "general" traffic which might be a problem when some muppet tries to get off lane 2 onto the sliproad.

Outside lane, well if some slow-ass person is the in car-share lane again you have undertaking by the general traffic this time, and if they are going slow in the carshare lane they are probably too stupid too look properly before they move out of it to come off the motorway.

With the way a large proportion of dumbass drivers on the motorways are (no awareness), it's certainly a worry!
Old 03-20-2006, 01:44 AM

What a waste of time and money.

When our roads are already at capacity we are trying either reduce their capacity or spend money on this crap.

The answer is to increase the number of lanes on our roads. Car sharing FFS... that's really useful when you live in a rural area with no transport alternatives.

These lanes always seem pretty pointless in California, all the lanes are completely jammed with the outside lane free with the odd car passing every now and again.

I think we should have a bus lane, car sharing lane and 1 lane for everyone else....

Time to buy Bambi the blow up doll
Old 03-20-2006, 01:47 AM

Reading the article, it'd appear that these are new lanes. I'd rather have car sharing lanes than bus lanes. I wonder if these new lanes will be bus, taxi, politician, and car sharing - there may well be some speed differentials.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:49 AM

Problem is that I don't live particularly near to anyone I work with, I'm in the office by 7 am, I sometimes have to go out to site, I sometimes work late, I sometimes leave early.

How's that going to work - "yes you can have a lift in, but you've got to get to my house first, don't be late, oh and I'm not sure what time I'll get you home, if indeed I'm around to give you a lift back".

I guessing this is a great idea for (generalising here) the government workers who all start at 9 and finish at 5, but for the rest of the population I don't see how it can work.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:29 AM
GSi

1 mile long? WTF use is that? You get to sit in your own special '2+ up' queue when the road it blocked.. whoop dee doo!
Old 03-20-2006, 03:39 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Farking politicians!

What next, skipping rope lanes, hoop n' stick lanes?

Perhaps if everyone jumped in the air & landed where they needed to be, traffic congestion would not exist.

Perhaps if we all close our eyes very tightly, politicos will cease to exist...
Old 03-20-2006, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by GSi,Mar 20 2006, 01:29 PM
1 mile long? WTF use is that?
sounds like it's a bloody slip road.

"Cut journey times by 8 minutes"

That'll be 7 minutes for the majority of 1 car occupants and 12 minutes for 2 car occupants. A saving of less than 8 minutes. Then there's the hassle factor.

Old 03-20-2006, 04:01 AM

Complete waste of time. Car sharing is pretty pointless in our country where we live in diverse locations and work in diverse areas.

I know of nobody else, for example, who drives from Chepstow to Trowbridge every day like I do (and I have to question why *I* do sometimes!!). Trains are a joke too.

Has anybody noticed how bad the road surfaces themselves are becoming too? Why not spend the money on improving the quality of our roads, not the fragmentation of our road system rules and regulations. Grr.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:57 AM

Complete waste of time!

I'd sooner stick pins in my eyes than share my car with a random commoner.... what if you got someone who was ugly or ginger??.... and how would it work anyway? will they have a website for matching people with lifts? very dodgy! It would end up as either find a date or find a criminal who's going to rob you at knifepoint or nick your car.........

Quick Reply: First Car Share lane in the UK