UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Final Reminder - Wtf!?

Old 07-09-2004, 01:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Final Reminder - Wtf!?

OK so I get home from work only to find a letter from West Mercia Saftey camera partnership waiting for me, the contents of which read something like this:-

Dear Sir/Madam,
FINAL REMINDER - REGISTERED KEEPER/DRIVER
In accordance with Section 1 Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988, notice is hereby given that proceedings are contemplated against the driver of vehicle registration number ******R for an alleged offence
of Excess speed (30 mph) ACD
at B5061 Bennetts Bank Telford towards Ketley (T), GB09 ARLESTON
on 23/05/2004 at 13:29 speed 44 mph
contrary to S81 1 RTRA 1984
The offence carries a maximum penalty of
Old 07-09-2004, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bummer!
IIUC you can ask for the picture.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:43 AM

Just tell it like it is,

This is your first notification.

You have received no NIP (it has to be posted to you within 14 days)

You genuinely have no recollection of being in the area at that time.

Explain that whilst you have no wish to be obstructive, you need to see any photographic evidence which might assist you.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:20 AM

Guess i'd better draft a letter then, sheesh, yet more unplanned work
Old 07-09-2004, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Pie_n_Chips,Jul 9 2004, 10:20 AM
Guess i'd better draft a letter then, sheesh, yet more unplanned work
Does anyone else drive your car? If they do be sure to to include that fact in your letter. The Hamiltons got away with it under similar circumstances where they didn't dispute that one of them was driving but couldn't remember which one. Hundreds of people probably draw straws every week for who's going to take the points ( and plead 'Guilty') but if you resist, there's actually a legal principle at issue which the courts would have difficulty ignoring.

If you're the only driver it's more tricky but lay it on that you really can't accept this without seeing the photographic evidence. Be careful though, some forces wont issue photos to defendants until the case is actually listed for a NG hearing. If at that stage you get to court and plead "Guilty' you're likely to cop a bigger fine than if you'd put your hands up right away.

Keep the letter polite and civil and your rquest should be seen as reasonable. You might have to visit a nick somewhere to view the photo.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a look at www.pepipoo.com there's lots of very good advice on there.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:08 AM

Cheers guys, the only other person who should be driving my car is Mrs Pie and thats not very often, if at all.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:16 AM

OK here's a quick letter i've drafted, feel free to rip it to bit's, point out any gapping holes. But this has really peeved me off, much tongue bitting going on.

"With reference to your letter dated 07/07/2004 and headed Final Reminder. I would like to inform you that this letter is indeed the first correspondence I have received from the West Mercia Safety Camera Partnership, detailing an alleged speeding offence on the 23/05/2004. Could you please explain to me why I have not received a Notice of Intended prosecution, as I understand they have to be issued within 14 days of the alleged offence? Due to the time period between the date of the alleged offense and this final reminder I am unable and unsurprisingly, able to recall my movements on that particular day and at that particular time.
Whilst I have no wish to be obstructive, I feel that I am well within my rights under the data protection act to request any supporting evidence that you may hold, that would assist me in identifying the driver and bringing this matter to conclusion."
Old 07-09-2004, 07:29 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Seems to cover it.

Have you had postal problems (like much of the country recently?)

It's supposition, but you might like to mention it in support of your non-receipt.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:36 AM

I've had this in the past - no problem if you state that you've never received anything before this - they don't send them registered mail so have no means of proving you received the letter - even assuming they sent one in the first place. If you think you can state categorically that you were not in the area at the time, I'd say so. Yours would not be the first car or bike whose number plate has been cloned.

Quick Reply: Final Reminder - Wtf!?