UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

FIA & Indy GP

Old 06-21-2005, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The FIAs aggressive stance here has done well to deflect one obvious criticism: the FIA run a motorsport business and the fans are their customers. Their service is to put on a good show.

Suggesting that the teams slow down for turn 13 - by how much!? 20mph? 15%? The cars don't have speedometres or speed limiters - is crazy.

They are right to point out that the counter offer of a chicane is unfair to Bridgestone runners - so tell them that if they race with their chicane, they get no points. At least the fans get a show.

Michelin are to blame here... if a driver had raced and ended up a grease spot, the team would be sued to kingdom come - so i don't blame the team at all.

Michelin had one job to do: supply tyres for the race. That they couldn't do that is shocking. It's a sad fact that the sport suffers because of it.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:45 AM

The FIA should have cancelled the GP on Friday night when the problem was known. Then at least they'd stop the majority of fans wasting their cash
Old 06-21-2005, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Michelin teams could very easily have agreed a max safe speed and installed a restrictor for top speed through that section , they have got to apply the power that tyres can handle .
Michelin screwed up big time , so what , deal with it .

If i had a set of Bridgestones on my car , i would have been really pissed off if the circuit was changed to suit another manufacturer .

It wasnt handled well by the authorities , but , it was the teams resposibility to run and they should have done so within the limits of the equipment they had available to them .
Old 06-21-2005, 09:36 AM

I'm still unclear as to whose responsibility it is to bring the 'spare' set of tyres, and what type of tyres those should be. The supplier's or the teams'?

There has been a catalogue of monumental errors here. A management consultant would have a field day!!

Indeed, the first was Michelin's, but it appears the FIA, and possibly also the teams, have a fault in this mess. How anyone can blame the other, I don't know.

I think s2kuk should take over the running of F1.

AE could pass as Bernie Ecclestone if he wore a wig......or a mophead.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Busamav,Jun 21 2005, 06:36 PM
The Michelin teams could very easily have agreed a max safe speed and installed a restrictor for top speed through that section , they have got to apply the power that tyres can handle .
Michelin screwed up big time , so what , deal with it .

If i had a set of Bridgestones on my car , i would have been really pissed off if the circuit was changed to suit another manufacturer .

It wasnt handled well by the authorities , but , it was the teams resposibility to run and they should have done so within the limits of the equipment they had available to them .

I find it somewhat ironic that Ferrari have been struggling with the Bridgestone's all season (esp in Barca) but when it all really fell apart it was the Michelins ....but then again I am a Ferrari fan!
Old 06-21-2005, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Max "I'm so clever.. you are so stupid" Mosley.. might actually have boxed himself in this time.. after nurburgring gp he has sent a letter to the teams saying that they are absolutely responsible for safety...

so.. in that context.. if the team has any doubt on safety.. it has to pull its car from the race. If for example.. Toyota had a wing problem that caused Ralf to crash...and they had pulled out of the GP.. would they now be on a disrepute charge for not designing.. building and delivering to Indy a raceworthy car? no.. not at all, nothing would have happened.

it's just now a big issue because so many teams pulled out.. but the logic is no different for one team or seven..

the team that should be worried is BAR..since they are on a suspended sentence after Imola.. so there is a very real possibility that they are banned.

now in Max's kangaroo court.. anything is possible.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobe,Jun 21 2005, 09:58 AM
the team that should be worried is BAR..since they are on a suspended sentence after Imola.. so there is a very real possibility that they are banned.
That is indeed a very good, and worrying, point
Old 06-21-2005, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Kobe,Jun 21 2005, 05:58 PM
so.. in that context.. if the team has any doubt on safety.. it has to pull its car from the race. If for example.. Toyota had a wing problem that caused Ralf to crash...and they had pulled out of the GP.. would they now be on a disrepute charge for not designing.. building and delivering to Indy a raceworthy car? no.. not at all, nothing would have happened.

The fact that Michelin and the teams they supply cocked up BIG TIME is absolutely clear and not in dispute, but having made such a supreme cock up what were they supposed to do?

It seems the FIA believe they should have raced anyway, slowing down through the fastest corner of the circuit...

...so what would have happened had one of the Bridgestone runners driven straight through the back of a slower Michelin car???

Who would be up on charges then?
Old 06-21-2005, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by ianl,Jun 21 2005, 07:12 PM
That is indeed a very good, and worrying, point
Will they be BAR next year anyway - doesn't this depend on the depth of Honda's pockets ?