UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Few questions for a soon to be owner

Old 10-16-2012, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think i know what im going to do now and have come to the decision that this time of the year is probably not the best time to learn how to drive a rwd car for the first time so im considering holding off till the warmer weather early next year. By then the show season will have started so then i start going to some shows, i will try and find some s2000 owners and asking them there opinions on the car and having a good look round them. I may even go to some of the meets on this forum to get to know some of you guys and more of a understanding of the car. If necessary i dont mind spending some money on driving courses as i do relly enjoy driving so learning to become a better driver sounds fun to me!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Carper
Thats defiantly a plus to a soft top haha. Thats the problem with england though we have horrible winters where the roof would be down for months
You only need the roof up for precipitation. As long as it's dry the roof down is just as fun in winter. The heater in the S2k is the best of any car I've been in. Warms up quickly and melts your face off when hot.

Originally Posted by Carper
I think i know what im going to do now and have come to the decision that this time of the year is probably not the best time to learn how to drive a rwd car for the first time so im considering holding off till the warmer weather early next year. By then the show season will have started so then i start going to some shows, i will try and find some s2000 owners and asking them there opinions on the car and having a good look round them. I may even go to some of the meets on this forum to get to know some of you guys and more of a understanding of the car. If necessary i dont mind spending some money on driving courses as i do relly enjoy driving so learning to become a better driver sounds fun to me!
I wouldn't be too quick to write off the idea of a winter purchase. These cars don't move well at winter. I went to look at one last December, they wouldn't let me test drive because it was snowing but were happy to chop a grand there and then off the price because they knew it was probably going no where until March. I can see cars on Autotrader now that I looked at this summer that are still for sale and those sellers are going to be very conscious of the fact it's getting cold. A set of winter tyres and it would handle better than your Corsa on summers.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:30 PM

Yeh, set of winter tyres on 16 inch rims is around 300 quid and it will be very stable in all conditions. It will spit you out on summers if you get it wrong but on the right tyre, ice, snow and water logged roads are no problem.

You will easily get more than 300 quid off so it's not a bad time to buy, just you will have to wait 6 months still it starts to make proper sense, but winter crisp mornings with the cold sun out, heater on and top down is an awesome experience.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:35 PM

If you buy now, and get through winter "learning" the cars nature, then when it finally gets to summer, you'll have more knowledge on the characteristics of the car.

Perhaps better to learn when forced to drive at lower speeds (winter) than at high speeds (over confidence inspiring summer roads).
Old 10-16-2012, 11:14 PM

Greetings Carper
I'd knock £300 off the price of mine for you. Still for sale! See the For Sale section on here

Edit: in fact, I have just knocked £200 off anyway so you can have another £100 off the current asking price. https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/899...#entry22088219
Old 10-16-2012, 11:55 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Mine went back onto winter tyres last night, I wouldn't use the car all year round without them now. You can pick up 16" wheels for peanuts and when you consider what your excess will be, 300 quid on winter rubber is money very well spent.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:07 AM

I sold a set of straight OEM 16" wheels for £25, they really are available for nothing if you're not worried about the cosmetic condition.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:43 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by simonix
Actually, a very good point! If you're 20, your the perfect age to look cool driving a roadster, rather than someone who is a little more mature and perhaps doesn't bring the same amount of trendiness
Would you say this fellow wouldn't look cool driving an S?

Do we have a problem?

P.S. Same age as me.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:13 AM

Well one things for sure, he'd look very angry driving the S!

;-)
Old 10-17-2012, 08:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm attacking the winter on my ad08s

But then don't have to use it for work so it'll stay put if it gets too bad

Quick Reply: Few questions for a soon to be owner