UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Few questions for a soon to be owner

Old 10-15-2012, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Sky and Flux gave me complete rip off quotes when I came to renew back in May! Ended up with some random from confused.com at a good £400 cheaper! So it doesn't surprise me at all that Admiral could quite better!

Good luck to the OP. if you buy one, you'll love it!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Earls_f20c
Originally Posted by gbduo' timestamp='1350341965' post='22084469
[quote name='carlip8' timestamp='1350333295' post='22084086']
[quote name='Carper' timestamp='1350332582' post='22084041']
[quote name='carlip8' timestamp='1350331910' post='22084016']
I call BS...

And Admiral will not quote under £2,000 for anyone under 20...
what do i benefit from lieing :/ i got it with others aswell. i can printscreen if you really want
The website automatically has that 'error' page if the applicant is under 21.....

Printscreen and we can laugh at your photoshop skills.
[/quote]

lolwut?

He has got a good insurance quote, when I was 21 my insurance was around £1k on the S2k as well.

Big deal, you need to learn to either shop around or move to a better area. Sorry, but being incredulous gets you nowhere.
[/quote]

How long ago was that Gbduo? Insurance is crazy for young lads these days, I agree that the £1k mark does seem....strangely cheap

I'll bet Sky Insurance & Flux are sh**ting themselves if 'The Admiral' is able to offer deals like this!

Well done OP, you must be very, very special judging from other quotes in the insurance thread
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/871.../page__st__175
[/quote]

ummm, 3 years ago? That was with Admiral funnily enough, but I am with Sky now that I have turned 25.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:43 AM

im with elephant which is admiral really. Im 23 and pay over £2000! and live in a good area

to get a quote at your age for that amount is very lucky
Old 10-16-2012, 07:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Carper

Mines £273 fully everything but I am with SAGA ha ha.
Enjoy being 20 and buy the S, it is not a doomsday machine! and besides in the unlikely event you do not get on with it swap it for the GTi
Old 10-16-2012, 11:09 AM

Actually, a very good point! If you're 20, your the perfect age to look cool driving a roadster, rather than someone who is a little more mature and perhaps doesn't bring the same amount of trendiness, but on the flip side, can afford the insurance and petrol! ;-)

PS: I'm at that age where I unfortunately (whether i like it or not) still care what other people think about my image, but seem to be leaving the age bracket that says I look cool in a soft top sports car! Haha!
Old 10-16-2012, 11:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by simonix
PS: I'm at that age where I unfortunately (whether i like it or not) still care what other people think about my image, but seem to be leaving the age bracket that says I look cool in a soft top sports car! Haha!

Now I'm very curious how old you are
Old 10-16-2012, 11:57 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Actually, a very good point! If you're 20, your the perfect age to look cool driving a roadster, rather than someone who is a little more mature and perhaps doesn't bring the same amount of trendiness, but on the flip side, can afford the insurance and petrol! ;-)

Watching a Top Gear rerun yesterday, Clarkson reminded me that no one over 28 should drive through urban areas with the roof down...
Just shows what Clarkson knows! Because like everyone else on here, I know I look cool
Old 10-16-2012, 12:04 PM

To be honest mate you seem pretty sensible, if thats the car you want i would go for it! Thats exactly what i did, im 22 with no RWD experience and i decided to get one, although i have had my fair share of nippy FWD cars, the S drives completely different. Your never going to learn to drive one if you don't try are you. Just like every one else has said take it easy and don't get too over confident.
I've had mine for a few months now and i have to say driving in the wet is a whole new ball game, however as someone has pointed out, any car can be dangerous in the wet.
Just take it easy and enjoy the ride! Believe me as soon as the weather improves the smile on your face will increase day by day!

I have yet to experience " ice " and im sure that will be very tricky!

im 22 with 5 years no claims and mine fully comp with Admiral is £900.00 which isn't bad. i Do live in a pretty good area so i think that has a big impact, i tried getting a quote on one when i was 20 and it was 2k
Old 10-16-2012, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Carper
Thanks for the reply. Im not the sort of person to show off and race around its totally not me. Surely theres a good tire out there that is grippy in wet and dry conditions? Im running Toyos on my corsa so understand the important of a good tire. From your answer to number two would you say the facelift version is easier to handle? obviously not leaps and bounds but the generally feel from you guys is that it is? I wouldnt be able to afford a later model sadly and the tax on them is around the £400 mark iirc?

Where is the areas for the regions? I can only see the meets section and its all mixed in with one another, maybe i need to be a member or something.
s sensible, always stuck to speed limits, had good tires, didn't drive loads in bad weather would he really have a problem owning a S?
I should repeat that the Corsa and the S2000 are two totally different animals. Completely!

If such a tyre existed that cured all ills, then believe me we'd all be running them on here.

A good tyre is not - and never will - be a cure for bad driving. If you think otherwise then perhaps (as others say) you should get some tuition or time in an RWD, because it's a naive assumption to make.

As they go, Bridgestones are very good. Nice and soft but wear pretty quick. Others prefer Toyos because they are harder and cheaper, but probably less 'safe' - particularly in the wet. There are many alternatives. A bit of research will help you evaluate them. Personally I preferred to stick to the ones that Honda specified (i.e. the Bridgies) in spite of their limited life when driven hard.

But all that said, if you don't drive hard then it will be fine whatever the weather, and it won't matter much which generation of S you choose. Mine only let go on me (unintentionally of course ) a couple of times and that was when I was new to the car and perhaps a bit quick pulling out in slippy weather.

It really does all depend upon how you drive it. Put another way, I doubt my mom would ever stack an S2000. I bet the majority of 20 year-olds would. Perhaps you are not in that majority, in which case you have little to worry about.

Regarding your next question, the later models did have a Vehicle Stability Assist setting but only from about MY06 onwards (which you have pretty much ruled out due to the £400 VED).

Finally meets and events - very top of the S2UK forum page. You can't miss it. In case you did:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/forum/129...ts-and-events/
Old 10-16-2012, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by carlip8
Originally Posted by Carper' timestamp='1350332582' post='22084041
I call BS...

what do i benefit from lieing :/ i got it with others aswell. i can printscreen if you really want
The website automatically has that 'error' page if the applicant is under 21.....

[/quote]

Even if i did get a printscreen you seem like the sort of person who still wouldnt be happy with that. On a side note do you have a progress thread or more images of your car? It looks stunning in your profile picture.

Originally Posted by gbduo' timestamp='1350341965' post='22084469
Originally Posted by carlip8
[quote name='Carper' timestamp='1350332582' post='22084041']
I call BS...

[/quote]

lolwut?

He has got a good insurance quote, when I was 21 my insurance was around £1k on the S2k as well.

Big deal, you need to learn to either shop around or move to a better area. Sorry, but being incredulous gets you nowhere.
[/quote]

I think that adding people to the policy helps a ton. I added both my parents and they have 15+ years of driving experience, no claims and years and years of no claims bonuses. Also your job aswell helps i think

Thats defiantly a plus to a soft top haha. Thats the problem with england though we have horrible winters where the roof would be down for months

Quick Reply: Few questions for a soon to be owner