UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Few questions for a soon to be owner

Old 10-15-2012, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 954chris
I agree with NineBolts! At the end of the day, if you want one and can afford one then go for it, the only way you'll get the driving experience is to get out there and drive one. Take it easy, get used to the car and the power delivery, give it maximum respect in adverse conditions and I'm sure you'll be fine.

One thing you may not have factored into your running costs is the RFL - it's much much higher on the facelift models. I've just renewed mine at £270 for the year (2002 model) but I believe 2003 on models are over £400
March 06 is the cutoff, some some 06 plates and all 56 plates and onwards I believe. Some JDM models, even 2000 models suffer from this also.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:00 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Same as what has been said above .... and I agree with Chris and Clive - if you want one and you know you can afford one then go and get one.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by AlexGJ248
Generally to modify the car visually, the majority of the people on here go for the factory upgrades. What I mean by that is things like the optional front lips and the optional spoilers that were/are available from Honda.
If there anything like vauxhall i take it there very expensive from the dealer?

Originally Posted by integra_man
1. It's almost twice as long as your Corsa, but more importantly RWD which will be totally different to what you may be used to. Any RWD car is a potential widow-maker if driven badly in the wrong conditions. The S2000 is no different, but better balanced and more forgiving than some of its rivals. By all means give it the beans, but sensibly and according to the road/conditions. Do this and it won't hurt you or itself. Don't and it probably will.

2. Can't speak for this as I have zero interest in modding cars and never modded mine. Didn't see the point but I suppose it's down to personal opinion. Plenty on here do, and do so cost effectively from what I can tell. Like anything, it will come down to how much you want to spend.

3. What you need to ask yourself - or your budget - is whether you want the first gen model (smaller wheels but more engaging), second (better equipped and better looking on 17s but a little less raw and involving handling-wise), or third (even better appointed, marrying the good bits of the previous two but the very later models do have ongoing question marks over engine build quality). Bar the wheels and colour combos available to each, to the non-enthusiast they don't look too dissimilar.

4. More than likely in your area. Check out the relevant area on the site.

5. Probably not a great duty cycle for any car TBH but don't see why the S should exhibit any problems another car wouldn't, so long as it gets a proper blast every now and then.
Thanks for the reply. Im not the sort of person to show off and race around its totally not me. Surely theres a good tire out there that is grippy in wet and dry conditions? Im running Toyos on my corsa so understand the important of a good tire. From your answer to number two would you say the facelift version is easier to handle? obviously not leaps and bounds but the generally feel from you guys is that it is? I wouldnt be able to afford a later model sadly and the tax on them is around the £400 mark iirc?

Where is the areas for the regions? I can only see the meets section and its all mixed in with one another, maybe i need to be a member or something.

Originally Posted by richmc
Quick question, are you sure you put in 2yrs NCB or 20? either that or are you a lottery winner?

As for the "discoraging" post, in the corsa if you floor the throttle going round a bend you may understeer and make some smoke, do that in an S2000 and the back end will become the front end then the back again etc. etc. until it stops and you crawl out from under the car and out of the ditch, if you're lucky. In other words 100% driving concerntration 100% of the time, and no dicking about, the S200 dosn't like show offs.

Forgot to add be ready for 30MPG at very best, and thats on super, don't use unleaded moonshine, and your 5min journeys, will just get you off choke, say 10MPG.
insurance on a s2000 is around £1k which i think is good as my corsa is £500 to insurance. Surely if i left the car running for 5 or so minutes before driving the mpg would go up to early twenties as thats what im after.

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
IMHO Corsas are more dangerous than an S2000; under-powered, skinny budget tyres and poor suspension. You don't get "bitten" by the rear end coming round, you just get "bitten" by it under-steering and carrying straight on into the scenery.

With regard to question 5.
I love "just popping to the local shop" in mine - I always end up taking a round trip of about 30 miles, via at least two towns Mine warms up pretty quickly - I start getting heat from the blowers within a couple of miles or so, but 5 mins isn't enough to get the oil up to temp - so I wouldn't want to be hitting v-tec at any point in that commute.

If you can afford the car, insurance and maintenance then go for it I say.
Thats great to know then as if i were to get one i would be willing to drive that little bit further for the cars sake. What are the general maintenance costs of the car?

Originally Posted by phil121081
If you are sensible, you'll have a great time, if you are not, you will probably regret ever contemplating getting one. At 21 I had a ITR (DC2) and would highly recommend. You get the same screaming VTEC, it's nearly as fast (probably is quicker in the hands of 90% of drivers) and a genuinely fantastic car. It is FWD yes, but has a very neutral chassis and you often forget which wheels are the driven ones.

I had that for 2 years and learned a little on how to drive fast(ish) and did quite a few track days then moved ?up? to Elise and S2000 later. Both are different propositions and of course RWD convertibles, but as for sheer driving pleasure, the ITR matched them both.

If you are looking for a cheap ish roadster, the S is a great buy, but whilst running costs are low when you consider it's performance, it is not a cheap car to run really, compared to a corsa (apologies if that sounds rude / obvious).

At the end of the day, it's your money and your choice and people will have different views. You can crash any car if you drive it like a tool, but keep to YOUR limits and don't try to find the cars and it'll reward you 10 fold. Don't forget the cars limits are often way way above that of the driver. It is after all a car designed for the road and the average Joe to enjoy.

If you just want to pose around, then again, why not, it's your money and your choice. I had mine to drive and I really enjoyed it, Euro trips, track, daily drive, but I enjoyed a nice sunny day with the roof down as much as the next owner. You don't have try to set new land speed records to enjoy a car.
Thanks for the great post, sadly i only have two cars in mind that i want next and thats a honda s2000 or a golf gti, purely down to that fact i like the look of the cars and the general feel of them. The car will be used on normal roads 99.9% of the time unless i catch the bug and go for the odd track day.

I think thats the thing i didnt realise until joining the forum that on a average day i will see maybe two "average joes" driving a s2000 and i just thought it was a great car but after joining there seems to be a worry about the cars handing. I think that's because of the posts of crashes and actually owners losing control of there s.

Originally Posted by Earls_f20c
Hi Carper, good luck with your excellent choice of S2000

Any chance you could share the name of the insurance broker/underwriter? Curious about what you call affordable, plus a wee bit jealous as all I could afford at your age was a 1.6 Golf Driver! (yes I'm very old )
admrial but others were the same. Was around the £1k mark adding my parents helped a ton and yes i would be owner/main driver. Insurance for a golf gti 2.0 was slightly less at £900

Originally Posted by NineBolts
Many of the above seems to imply you're an undisciplined plumb who can't control your right foot . Unless you know this to be true go for it.
haha thanks!

Originally Posted by 954chris
I agree with NineBolts! At the end of the day, if you want one and can afford one then go for it, the only way you'll get the driving experience is to get out there and drive one. Take it easy, get used to the car and the power delivery, give it maximum respect in adverse conditions and I'm sure you'll be fine.

One thing you may not have factored into your running costs is the RFL - it's much much higher on the facelift models. I've just renewed mine at £270 for the year (2002 model) but I believe 2003 on models are over £400
the main question is if i were to get a average man from the side of the road who was sensible, always stuck to speed limits, had good tires, didn't drive loads in bad weather would he really have a problem owning a S?
Old 10-15-2012, 11:57 AM

tried too reply to as many as possible didnt think i would get so many replies tbh! Thank you
Old 10-15-2012, 12:02 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Carper
the main question is if i were to get a average man from the side of the road who was sensible, always stuck to speed limits, had good tires, didn't drive loads in bad weather would he really have a problem owning a S?
Nope. Obey some basic rules and you'll be fine.

1. Get the geo checked if the car feels nervous.
2. Do a skidpan / airfield / instruction day.
3. Lose the speed before a corner / don't go too fast into it.
4. Don't brake or accelerate mid corner.
5. Be smooth with steering / throttle and brake inputs.

It's really not that difficult to drive, maybe more difficult to drive well but it's lovely to just drive.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I call BS...

And Admiral will not quote under £2,000 for anyone under 20...
Attached Thumbnails Few questions for a soon to be owner-screen-shot-2012-10-15-21.09.54.png  
Old 10-15-2012, 12:11 PM

That insurance quote is seriously cheap, I'm 23 with 4 years ncb and I just managed to squeeze under 2k, that's for my second year with the car too! Admiral wouldn't even quote me.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by carlip8
I call BS...

And Admiral will not quote under £2,000 for anyone under 20...
what do i benefit from lieing :/ i got it with others aswell. i can printscreen if you really want
Old 10-15-2012, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan9
That insurance quote is seriously cheap, I'm 23 with 4 years ncb and I just managed to squeeze under 2k, that's for my second year with the car too! Admiral wouldn't even quote me.
that seems very werid although i know of a 19 year old with a boxer so i guess its hit and miss. I also think it depends on area and who else is on your policy.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by unclefester
Originally Posted by Carper' timestamp='1350331014' post='22083961
Nope. Obey some basic rules and you'll be fine.

1. Get the geo checked if the car feels nervous.
2. Do a skidpan / airfield / instruction day.
3. Lose the speed before a corner / don't go too fast into it.
4. Don't brake or accelerate mid corner.
5. Be smooth with steering / throttle and brake inputs.

It's really not that difficult to drive, maybe more difficult to drive well but it's lovely to just drive.
how much would one of them instruction days cost? and is it necessary to take your own car or do they have some to drive?

Quick Reply: Few questions for a soon to be owner