UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Few questions for a soon to be owner

Old 10-15-2012, 12:03 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipGB
I justified to my self that the bigger one in the next town would be better, and 45 miles of scenic b roads later I had my eggs for breakfast.
Thats the S2000 spirit.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:40 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

IMHO Corsas are more dangerous than an S2000; under-powered, skinny budget tyres and poor suspension. You don't get "bitten" by the rear end coming round, you just get "bitten" by it under-steering and carrying straight on into the scenery.

With regard to question 5.
I love "just popping to the local shop" in mine - I always end up taking a round trip of about 30 miles, via at least two towns Mine warms up pretty quickly - I start getting heat from the blowers within a couple of miles or so, but 5 mins isn't enough to get the oil up to temp - so I wouldn't want to be hitting v-tec at any point in that commute.

If you can afford the car, insurance and maintenance then go for it I say.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are sensible, you'll have a great time, if you are not, you will probably regret ever contemplating getting one. At 21 I had a ITR (DC2) and would highly recommend. You get the same screaming VTEC, it's nearly as fast (probably is quicker in the hands of 90% of drivers) and a genuinely fantastic car. It is FWD yes, but has a very neutral chassis and you often forget which wheels are the driven ones.

I had that for 2 years and learned a little on how to drive fast(ish) and did quite a few track days then moved ?up? to Elise and S2000 later. Both are different propositions and of course RWD convertibles, but as for sheer driving pleasure, the ITR matched them both.

If you are looking for a cheap ish roadster, the S is a great buy, but whilst running costs are low when you consider it's performance, it is not a cheap car to run really, compared to a corsa (apologies if that sounds rude / obvious).

At the end of the day, it's your money and your choice and people will have different views. You can crash any car if you drive it like a tool, but keep to YOUR limits and don't try to find the cars and it'll reward you 10 fold. Don't forget the cars limits are often way way above that of the driver. It is after all a car designed for the road and the average Joe to enjoy.

If you just want to pose around, then again, why not, it's your money and your choice. I had mine to drive and I really enjoyed it, Euro trips, track, daily drive, but I enjoyed a nice sunny day with the roof down as much as the next owner. You don't have try to set new land speed records to enjoy a car.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest, I would get the CTR/ITR first so you get used to the power. It is a massive learning curve. I moved from a Ibiza 1.4 (sport! ) to the S2k and that was a huge leap and full of spins and lucky saves. I wish I had gone through something with more power first. Getting to track days and driver improvement days is a must, as are winter tyres.

Modifying the car for performance is horrendously expensive. I think to get around 20bhp I have spent around £2.5k. Boost is the only real way to get performance and that is £6k plus brakes and suspension which are going to be around £2k for decent stuff.

You cannot skimp on the car, it demands the highest quality tyres, fuel, oil, servicing, etc. So running costs are high, but not horrendous for the power you get.

It is great fun to drive, but you only get to use its full capabilities on a track and it is therefore pretty pointless on the road. The CTR appears to be much easier to drive fast on the road, you are always worried about over doing it in the S on our dodgy road surfaces.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by phil121081
If you are sensible, you'll have a great time, if you are not, you will probably regret ever contemplating getting one. At 21 I had a ITR (DC2) and would highly recommend. You get the same screaming VTEC, it's nearly as fast (probably is quicker in the hands of 90% of drivers) and a genuinely fantastic car. It is FWD yes, but has a very neutral chassis and you often forget which wheels are the driven ones.

I had that for 2 years and learned a little on how to drive fast(ish) and did quite a few track days then moved ?up? to Elise and S2000 later. Both are different propositions and of course RWD convertibles, but as for sheer driving pleasure, the ITR matched them both.

If you are looking for a cheap ish roadster, the S is a great buy, but whilst running costs are low when you consider it's performance, it is not a cheap car to run really, compared to a corsa (apologies if that sounds rude / obvious).

At the end of the day, it's your money and your choice and people will have different views. You can crash any car if you drive it like a tool, but keep to YOUR limits and don't try to find the cars and it'll reward you 10 fold. Don't forget the cars limits are often way way above that of the driver. It is after all a car designed for the road and the average Joe to enjoy.

If you just want to pose around, then again, why not, it's your money and your choice. I had mine to drive and I really enjoyed it, Euro trips, track, daily drive, but I enjoyed a nice sunny day with the roof down as much as the next owner. You don't have try to set new land speed records to enjoy a car.
I'd second this post TBH. I had an ITR for 5 years before eventually selling to buy an S2000; it remains probably the best all-round sports car I have ever owned. Even though it wasn't faster officially, it actually felt a little bit quicker than the S if I am honest. It really was like driving by numbers. Never let go on me despite how hard I drove it, and handling was a piece of piss.

Dirt cheap to run too.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:25 AM

So long as you're sensible and get some decent driver tuition I think you'll be fine in the S. I had 6 years of FWD driving before getting the S and it's a pretty big learning curve - you have to respect it especially in the wet. Personally I've found that it's pretty decent in the wet when not tooling around, but a stab of throttle when the car is a little unsettled can send you backwards through a hedge.
If you don't feel confident enough, maybe pick up a cheap MK1 MX5 over the winter to break you in? They're dirt cheap now, and if you prang it - you won't lose much.

I'm not a fan of making short trips in the S, I tend to use the Mrs' car if I have to nip out

I'd also echo some of the above comments about running costs too, whilst it doesn't have huge running costs - it's worth bearing in mind.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Carper, good luck with your excellent choice of S2000

Any chance you could share the name of the insurance broker/underwriter? Curious about what you call affordable, plus a wee bit jealous as all I could afford at your age was a 1.6 Golf Driver! (yes I'm very old )
Old 10-15-2012, 03:37 AM

If you reallt want a fast Honda, a DC2 Integra should be owned by every car enthusiast at some stage in their life (IMO). You will have so much fun in that car whatever the weather. I think mine was the most fun car I've owned. Depreciation is pretty much zero on a good one too.

If you really want to get into RWD with your age and experience I'd get something a bit friendlier for a year to get used to it. NIssan 200SX or Mazda MX5 would be my choice.

The S2000 is a great car, but IMO it is not a great starter rwd car for the inexperienced.

Good luck whatever you choose, but give the car a lot of respect in the cold and wet. And Keep back £300-£500 of your budget for some advanced driver training before winter sets in.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many of the above seems to imply you're an undisciplined plumb who can't control your right foot . Unless you know this to be true go for it.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:36 AM

I agree with NineBolts! At the end of the day, if you want one and can afford one then go for it, the only way you'll get the driving experience is to get out there and drive one. Take it easy, get used to the car and the power delivery, give it maximum respect in adverse conditions and I'm sure you'll be fine.

One thing you may not have factored into your running costs is the RFL - it's much much higher on the facelift models. I've just renewed mine at £270 for the year (2002 model) but I believe 2003 on models are over £400

Quick Reply: Few questions for a soon to be owner