UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Feel my rear

Old 01-23-2009, 12:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Feel my rear

One of my very few criticisms of my car is that there's not enough 'seat of the pants' feel for what the back end is up to. On dry roads and on coarser surfaces in the wet it's good, but on worn smooth tarmac in the wet, it's a bit numb.

I'm not talking about wet weather grip - it seems to have a lot more than the tales of doom and the reputation suggest - it's just that on long fast corners on wet roads, I don't get that feel for whether I'm getting near to the limit of grip.

I hope this makes sense and rest asured I am giving due consideration to the lower grip levels on wet roads - it's just that other cars I've had still retained that 'feel and communication', even when absolute grip was reduced.

Is this a common complaint and:
a). will a different geo set-up make a difference? Mine is pretty much standard settings at the rear (despite some confussed earlier posts).
b). are there any mods I could consider - strut / subframe braces etc. (don't really want to splash out on coil overs and lowering etc.)?

Your expert opinions will be gratefully received.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine felt the same when i got it put right by.

1) |Full geo by CG ( there are others )

2) Rear cusco lower bar ( well worth the money )

3) Tyres

The result is a car which tells you what its doing .

Old 01-24-2009, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had my Geo done at Horizon Honda Christchurch after putting on 17" OEM with Bridgestone rubber and the car feels fantastic - night and day difference now it's at the TSB set up which has probably never been done before I don't drive like a nutter, but corner speeds are now 10% quicker without going mad.

Something else made a huge difference for me on all (four) of My S2000s - seat is a bit closer rather than it first used to be. Felt a bit odd on long-drives at first, now doesn't, feels more secure with better feedback.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the oem dampers lack some rebound damping really.
Add in the designed "bump steer" and it makes for a soft "understeery" car.

Adding braces was worthwhile IMO but I only did it to a stiffer car anyhow so YMMV.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by m1bjr' date='Jan 24 2009, 03:34 AM
I think the oem dampers lack some rebound damping really.
Add in the designed "bump steer" and it makes for a soft "understeery" car.

Adding braces was worthwhile IMO but I only did it to a stiffer car anyhow so YMMV.
I agree about the back end being a bit bouncy and that sensation seems to coincide with the instances of sketchy rear end feeling.

Anyone know if the brace would tie the back end down a bit tighter on standard shocks & springs?
Old 01-24-2009, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same as motogop1 - I thought the same when on bumpy B roads, I also had a CG session which helped a lot and put on front and rear lower braces.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:46 PM

CG + thicker anti-roll bars do the job for me.

I can lean on the rear with more feed back coming back through the suspension to the seat of my pants. Found it too floaty before.

Stiffening braces can only help in transmitting more of the road surface 'feel' through to you through the steering wheel and seat.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Shopman' date='Jan 24 2009, 03:46 PM
CG + thicker anti-roll bars do the job for me.

I can lean on the rear with more feed back coming back through the suspension to the seat of my pants. Found it too floaty before.

Stiffening braces can only help in transmitting more of the road surface 'feel' through to you through the steering wheel and seat.
So either braces or thicker bars would have the effect of providing more feel, but only the anti roll bar would take away the floaty feel (if not changing shocks etc. of course)???
Old 01-25-2009, 04:33 AM

What tyres?

Have you had the geo done ever? Yours could be all over the place, so well worth getting it done before you pass any judgement.

Rear lower brace is cheap, dead easy to fit, and makes a big difference.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:21 AM

The tyres are the standard fit Bridgestones 050's, fitted in November and have only about 2000 miles on them.

Geo was done in Dec (rear end is pretty much at the standard settings) and it is a lot better than before. I'm going to make the pilgrimage to CoG as soon as possible, but I'm not sure when I'll get the chance.

Sounds like the brace bar would be worthwhile - does it need to be Cusco, Tein etc., or is one bit of billet ally as good as the next?

Quick Reply: Feel my rear