UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Failing to comply with the Statutory Speed Limit

Old 08-17-2004, 07:22 AM
GSi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came down that same stretch a week later and there was a camera van on a bridge, but I saw it early and slowed. I also passed a police car parked on a slip road (saw it in my rear view) at about 90-95. I was in a train of traffic, for the next couple if miles I didn't slow much, but kept looking in my rear view mirror and sure enough he appeared in the distance. I slowed down to about 80 and the Megane that had been up my arse all this time sped on.

I then got to some roadworks so slowed right down to 60 (or 50, whatever th posted limit was) and the police car passed me by, taking care not to look at it..

About 1 mile farther down the road they police car was parked up having a work with the Megane driver..

Needless to say I considered myself lucky and drove slowly for the next 10 miles or so
Old 08-17-2004, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by euan,Aug 7 2004, 11:41 AM

IIRC StevenM once told me there were never any cameras north of Manchester on the M6/M74 - clearly things have changed.
I certainly would never have expected to see one on this motorway.
There are definately cameras out on the M74 now I passed under one on the way back from Scotland in late June and had a nervous couple of weeks waiting for a NIP.

Originally Posted by euan,Aug 7 2004, 11:41 AM
Was this on the "missing link" part of the A74(M) (dual carriageway section near Gretna which they STILL haven't upgraded to a proper motorway for some reason? This is the only part of ths road that would warrant a camera IMHO as it is narrow, congested, and a poor surface. Anywhere else on the M74 is a waste of plod resources as AFAIK the M74 is not particularly prone to speed related accidents.
You should know by now that accident statistics bear no relation to camera locations. The M74 is a very fast road and is therefore a big, untapped pot of gold for the government. Grumble, grumble.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:36 AM

It's getting to that stage really that there is no point in taking any risks with the speed limit on the major roads any more... the A9 up here is littered with speed traps.

I haven't driven down south for a while but I would imagine from what I hear it's just as bad... probably worse.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:37 AM
Xd

Originally Posted by TinTop,Aug 17 2004, 02:20 PM
An interesting point came from one of the speed freaks at work (last caught doing 130MPH in his Porker). He reckons the law is different up in Scotland and they have no legal right to revoke/modify your license, is this true?
Urm, Jim.

You might be alright dan saff. Remember its a different country, we even have our own parliament.

What I want to know is do the Glaswegian Police have any jurisdiction now I'm back home?
Old 08-17-2004, 11:06 AM

TinTop, I am sorry to hear your news, I know only to well the sinking feeling you get when you see the words "Safety Camera Unit". Do not despair though, even in the worst case you should be OK (I am sure that you are only talking points). I got nicked by a man in a van driving my Mondeo back from Wales - 92 in a 60. I went to court, showed due humilty and after explaining the importance of driving to my job i received 6 points a
Old 08-17-2004, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Tricky,Aug 17 2004, 07:06 PM
Reason for my post is to say that you are less that 30mph over limit so you should get standard penalty rather than court summons, but even if you did do not always fear the worst of a ban.

Tin Top,

Sorry to hear the news. Just spoken with my rozzer friend about this. She says a ban is only likely if you received a summons and even then you may still get away with just points. If it goes to court do the usual, humble / sincerely sorry routine. By the way, yes they can nick you for speeding north of the border, sorry.

All the best,

Derrick
Old 08-17-2004, 12:37 PM

Well... after making that conservative post... I leave the office take the G/F down to her dads... AND TRASH THE S! Yup I've just taken out a fence somewhere in Ayrshire Bummer, I may well be missing WBT for this now.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:07 PM

Sorry too hear your pending licence endorsement.

I am a member of the IAM but in my defence I still do a lot of things wrong. As you are going for membership I would not say anything at any court hearing (if that does happen) as the IAM will check and possibly make there own comment. Apparently lots of speeders use this line and the courts take a dim view in general or will just disbelieve you.

Hope it goes ok and good luck with the IAM driving assesment. When is it? do you know yet?
Old 08-17-2004, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you might be OK as you're just under the magic ton, when a ban is almost certain.

There are actually strict guidlines governing what magistrates have to consider in coming to a decision - all sorts of factors such as weather conditions, volume of traffic etc. There's a very experienced magistrate - 'Old Codger'- who posts in Law And Related on 5ive0.com, who'll tell you what to expect given all the circumstances.

Good luck mate!
Old 08-17-2004, 02:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even though it's a Sheriff that'll be judging this I would think the guidelines will be standard across the UK.

Quick Reply: Failing to comply with the Statutory Speed Limit