UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Failing to comply with the Statutory Speed Limit

Old 08-07-2004, 03:13 AM
Xd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Failing to comply with the Statutory Speed Limit

Guys I've done the search engine; Welshman/Mark & Tonky some good advise which I will use.

Bit miffed at being caught, it was on the A74(M) coming back from the Arran meet, there was hardly any markings on this vehicle and it was parked to the side. Plenty of warnings about speed cameras on that road though. I just took them as the "boy who cried wolf" as I hadn't seen anything on the way up.

Do we have a Legal FAQ as I know this comes up often, something to do with the car I guess.

Guess the Megameet is off for us
Old 08-07-2004, 03:16 AM

What's the speed limit on there, 70? If so you may get away with fine & points as it's below the magic ton.

In '96 I got caught doing 98mph on the M6 and received 3 points and
Old 08-07-2004, 03:41 AM

IIRC StevenM once told me there were never any cameras north of Manchester on the M6/M74 - clearly things have changed.
I certainly would never have expected to see one on this motorway.

Was this on the "missing link" part of the A74(M) (dual carriageway section near Gretna which they STILL haven't upgraded to a proper motorway for some reason? This is the only part of ths road that would warrant a camera IMHO as it is narrow, congested, and a poor surface. Anywhere else on the M74 is a waste of plod resources as AFAIK the M74 is not particularly prone to speed related accidents.

What time of day was it?
Old 08-07-2004, 03:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find a friend overseas who (a) doesn't want to drive in the UK and (b) doesn't mind taking the rap. Say they were driving.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:52 AM

Lee, very sorry to hear this. Hopefully only 3 points and a smallish fine, fingers crossed.

Easy for me to say, but please don't let it put you off MegaMeet - we need your excellent photographic skills to record the weekends events !!

If the scamera van was in the same place as we saw it the day before then it would have been on the stretch near Gretna (fortunately for us there was a lot of traffic around at the time to slow us down and it did come up on the Snooper as a 'high risk area'....) Think it was still a 70 limit ??
Old 08-07-2004, 04:37 AM
Xd

Guys,

to Quote them;

"Failing to comply with a statutory 70mph Speed Limit at 14:06 hours on 03-AUG-2004, at the following location namely A74(M) Glasgow - Carlisle Road, Southbound carriageway nearto Whicketthorn Overbridge, Kirkpatrick Flemming."

It was a clear day, little traffic and I was overtaking in a clear right hand lane.

They have also mentioned that "THIS ALLEGATION IS SUPPORTED BY MEANS OF VIDEOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE"

The document is a notice of intended prosecution which was sent to me via recorded delivery.

In all I think I will admit to it as the road (if I recollect) was clear and I will attend in person, smartly dressed and VERY apologetic. Also I am in the process of studying/training for my advanced driving test so, I don't really want a ban at this point. Welshman/Tonky, is it worth me getting the videographic evidence and any idea how?

Fazer1k if I am banned there will be nobody able to drive the car to me meet, Rachel is still learning to drive.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by TinTop,Aug 7 2004, 01:37 PM
Fazer1k if I am banned there will be nobody able to drive the car to me meet, Rachel is still learning to drive.
Sure that Rachel wasn't driving back from Arran

EDIT: My 3 points are from 98.5 on the A1(M) (70 limit). I also got a
Old 08-07-2004, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by TinTop,Aug 7 2004, 12:37 PM
Guys,

to Quote them;

"Failing to comply with a statutory 70mph Speed Limit at 14:06 hours on 03-AUG-2004, at the following location namely A74(M) Glasgow - Carlisle Road, Southbound carriageway nearto Whicketthorn Overbridge, Kirkpatrick Flemming."

They have also mentioned that "THIS ALLEGATION IS SUPPORTED BY MEANS OF VIDEOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE"

The document is a notice of intended prosecution which was sent to me via recorded delivery.

In all I think I will admit to it as the road (if I recollect) was clear and I will attend in person, smartly dressed and VERY apologetic. Also I am in the process of studying/training for my advanced driving test so, I don't really want a ban at this point. Welshman/Tonky, is it worth me getting the videographic evidence and any idea how?

I think the Police will give you the video evidence - in fact I'm sure they have to - so you just have to ask.

The reason they don't send you the piccy unless you request it, is that in the early days when they used to do that, some wives/girlfriends saw photos of their husband/other half with a woman other than them in the car!

FWIW I don't think you'll get a ban if your licence is clean since you were not more than 30 mph over the limit.

As you say represent yourself, look smart, and do all the other things Mark, Tonky and I have advised in other threads.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:19 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I got 4 points and
Old 08-07-2004, 09:22 AM

For reference anyone else who goes up or down that way may want to have a look at this map and check out where the cameras are planned to be on the day of travel.

I use the A75 a number of times a year and can expect them waiting for me when I up there tomorrow

Try Pepipoo for legal info.

Quick Reply: Failing to comply with the Statutory Speed Limit