UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Factory fitted alarm replacement

Old 12-16-2009, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory fitted alarm replacement

Hi,

Lately it's just been one problem after another with my S and just after I thought I had most of it sorted the central locking decided to start playing up and the alarm is randomly going off after I start the car.

I've taken it to Honda to be checked out and it turns out that the alarms Central Control Unit is on it's way out (immobiliser and alarm still ok at the moment though, thank goodness)
I've been quoted £300 to have the entire alarm replaced as the CCU is no longer available.

I know that UK S's had their alarms fitted by Honda after they arrived on our shores but are the units Honda offer up to the job?

I've had a couple of alarms fitted to a few grey imports i've had over the years so i know £300+ is about what to expect for a fitted system but is it worth going down the Honda route or would I be better off looking at a third party system?

Thanks

p.s. don't you just love this forum when you have a problem
Old 12-16-2009, 11:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Zagael,Dec 17 2009, 08:03 AM
are the units Honda offer up to the job?
No! Complete POS and one of the worst decisions Honda UK made with regards to the S.

Get your local alarm fitter to replace it with something reliable.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:49 PM

A number of folks on here have Clifford alarms and seem happy with them
Old 12-17-2009, 12:34 AM

I had similar problems recently. i replaced the whole unit with a clifford concept 650. it seems good so far - well the alarm is no longer going off in the middle of the night!
Old 12-17-2009, 12:59 AM

The usual swift response, thanks.

I'll look into 3rd party systems asap (although my car picked a hell of a time of year to start playing silly buggers!)

Happy Christmas, drive safe
Old 12-17-2009, 04:32 AM
J_D

Toad alarms are also good value and reliable and are CAT1's
Old 12-17-2009, 07:38 AM

Honesty stick with something from the Directed Electronics stable and forget the rest. Clifford, Viper, Hornet, Python are all from DE and top quality and highly customisable.
http://www.directed.com/
Never had a problem with any of the several Vipers I've had installed but make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing ideally a DE authorised/certified installer to fit it.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:00 AM

My alarm has started this I think! Wasn't sure if maybe I was taking to long or whatever, but a couple of times now I've started teh car and the alarms went off.

Oh, please not more expense!!!
Old 12-17-2009, 10:08 PM

"Oh, please not more expense!!!"

Tell me about it!
The car has cost me more in the last 3 weeks than it has over the last 18 months!!!

I still love it to bits though.

Been doing a bit of research and it looks like i'll be going for a clifford, just got to find a certified fitter in my area (Bolton, if anyone who reads this can help?)
Old 12-17-2009, 10:59 PM

I was looking at the viper sure start option for the iphone, looks good! Not available in the UK as yet but starting your car from your phone would be awesome!

Also looked at Clifford's, seeing what they had.

This month I've got service, MOT, insurance renewal and road tax.....that worked out well lol

Quick Reply: Factory fitted alarm replacement