UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

extended warranty worthwhile?

Old 09-07-2005, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up extended warranty worthwhile?

Hi all,

I've been away from the forum for a while, been busy sorting out & buying a house at long last, nearly had to sell the S in the process, but phewey, i still have it, and a house, and broadband what else could I possibly need.

Sorry if this has been asked over & over, but what is the general opinion regarding worthyness of the extended warranty?

My S is very nearly 3 years old, and combining the facts that second hand & new parts are easy to come by on here/ebay and the fact that it's been difficult in the past for people to actually get things fixed under extended warranty, I'm wondering whether it's worth bothering.

cheers
Rick
Old 09-07-2005, 08:50 AM

I think it's worth it. You are buying peace of mind, like any other insurance policy.
Edit: if anything covered goes wrong then it is more than likely that just that single item alone will be more than the cost of the policy.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:53 AM
MrV

Well worth the money ,well it was for me when the gearbox went
Old 09-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I would strongly recommend getting the warranty.

It recently paid for
Old 09-07-2005, 01:05 PM

How much is it for the extended waranty ? I know it probably varie's so what are the options ?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by shane k,Sep 7 2005, 09:05 PM
How much is it for the extended waranty ? I know it probably varie's so what are the options ?
try a search - there was a thread recently started by Ben Hampton

I think there are one or two year options and Ben got two years for
Old 09-07-2005, 01:37 PM

Old 09-07-2005, 01:50 PM

Ref prices and length of policy;

Speaking in general terms only if the car is under 5 years old, the length of the extended guarantee can be from 3 months up to 48 months and with or without Honda Assist which is very similar to the Assist that is included with the new car warranty.

Purchase of multiple years at the start will result in cost savings in both a reduction of second, third and fourth year policy costs as well as inflation rises each year.

If the car is 5 years and over at the inception of the policy then the initial cost of the policy is slightly more expensive than the 3-4 year old car.

The level of cover on the policy is very high - the relevant part of the terms and conditions starts with "All mechanical and electrical items" and goes on to say that service items, body paint, trims, glass, exhaust systems and radio and communication equipment and anything made to wear as part of it's normal function is excluded. (Clutches, brake linings, etc)

There is also the defination of a mechanical failure and the details of the countries in Western Europe that the Guarantes are valid in.

One last thing, part of the Terms and Conditions state that qualifying cars should not be modified other than what is reccomended by Honda themselves so any turbo's, superchargers, decat exhausts, NOS, etc - sorry cannot do.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:44 AM

Thanks guys, sounds like I'd be a bit mad not to get it extended.
I didn't realise you could include the AA cover on that too.

Davey, you will be getting a pm.

cheers all
Rick
Old 09-08-2005, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Davey_2,Sep 7 2005, 10:50 PM
One last thing, part of the Terms and Conditions state that qualifying cars should not be modified other than what is reccomended by Honda themselves so any turbo's, superchargers, decat exhausts, NOS, etc - sorry cannot do.
So, what DOES Honda recommend themselves, and would therefore be covered, Dave? Mugen kit?

I can see why they would seek to exclude forced induction mods and the like, but do they take such a tight view of that clause that an aftermarket exhaust which arguably added no power (or no material amount) would be sufficient to mean they wouldn't cover it?

Quick Reply: extended warranty worthwhile?