UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

exhaust question....

Old 04-02-2006, 07:35 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Re the metalurgy, ive never heard of a 304 grade exhaust crack from stress corrosion or through thermal fatigue? They certainly last better than a stock exhaust. An N/A car like the S2000 doesnt have the EGT's of a turbo car remember.

I would be more worried about its weight and flow properties?

Best for power gains seems to be the single exit pipes. The Spoon N1 is ****ing loud though! I heard Simon Preludes and it sounds awesome, but would drive me nuts

The best proven gains Ive seen on this BBS is the J's racing.

Magnaflow have done some good stuff on the ITR's....

MB
Old 04-02-2006, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Magnaflow has performance as priority over everything else, looks and quality are obviously there too....

They use Mandrel bent tubes which do not restrict the flow at all... its about as big as you can go without sounding too loud.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:17 AM
MB

Dont like all those sleeves on there much! I prefer flaged joints as there's a bit less chance for leakage.

Whats the loop in the decat pipe for? Ive seen that on ITR's, but not the S2000.

MB
Old 04-02-2006, 08:18 AM

Lloyd we will need pictures and a write up.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:16 AM

Received 655 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Lloyd Six,Apr 2 2006, 04:12 PM
Magnaflow has performance as priority over everything else, looks and quality are obviously there too....

They use Mandrel bent tubes which do not restrict the flow at all... its about as big as you can go without sounding too loud.
do you work there?

doesn't pretty much everyone use mandrel bent tubes? and the extra weight will offset any performance gain on an S.

if you're after performance you want single exit titanium.. but it won't be cheap
Old 04-02-2006, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark,Apr 2 2006, 08:17 AM
Dont like all those sleeves on there much! I prefer flaged joints as there's a bit less chance for leakage.

Whats the loop in the decat pipe for? Ive seen that on ITR's, but not the S2000.

MB
Have you noticed on a stock system there is a tube about 6" long that sticks out at 90deg with a cap on?

Its all to do with acoustics, the Magnaflow design gives a better note, again witha free-flow, the tube on the standard system vreates turbulance thus restriction due to the flow being negatively effected.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2,Apr 2 2006, 09:16 AM
do you work there?

doesn't pretty much everyone use mandrel bent tubes? and the extra weight will offset any performance gain on an S.

if you're after performance you want single exit titanium.. but it won't be cheap
Yep.. and

You are right, most are now mandrel bent but have they got it right?? hmm that I think not.. with the exception of HKS, Spoon and couple of others.

I am the product manager for Magnaflow and proud of it, ok this makes me biased but i assure you i'm telling you the 100% truth.

PS We are selling off Titanium S systems off cheap (can not make them anymore.. too expensive due to metal costs and specialized fabrication)

I have 2 left, they are soooo light it makes you laugh
Old 04-02-2006, 10:09 AM

This is that 6" pipe that sticks out, approx 15" after the cat.

Old 04-02-2006, 10:41 AM

Hello from the US!

Lloyd Six, was happy to find your forum and exhaust info on Magnaflow Cat-Back.

I have been searching the US forums for well over a month and unfortunately have NOT found a single photo of the Magnaflow cat-back system installed or ANY sound clips, only the engineering drawing on their site. Many S2000 owners have installed the Magnaflow 14325 stainless mufflers on their stock exhaust and are very happy with the sound, deep but not TOO loud, and NO droning due to retaining the hemholz resonator (6" 90 degree pipe). Many other systems have regulator resonator but have read & heard droning complaints.

I have found pictures and sound clips of just about everthing else available but didn't like the "look" of some (Tips like coffee cans, UGH! just my opinion).
Supersprint sounds & looks great but at some cost (at least over here).

I ordered my Magnaflow Cat-Back system just last Thursday after much deliberation and cannot wait to put it on. In the meantime be looking forward to seeing pics and more of your car.

Mike in the US
Old 04-02-2006, 10:45 AM
MB

Hmmmm.... It all becomes clear, and I suspected as much!

Honesty prevailed in the end though

Get some pics up. I imagine you are infringing some forum rules though

The one on the Integra that was in banzai / jap car some time ago did look like a good piece of kit though.

MB

Quick Reply: exhaust question....