UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Exhaust mod

Old 02-15-2013, 12:28 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by earl's_f20c
Originally Posted by SCZ4' timestamp='1360950401' post='22339932
Nice one! Look forward to the result, please keep us informed I've spoken to a few people who said it didn't make much difference in terms of nosie, a little more rasp.

When are you fitting it?

So do you have the 32mm mod and a decat? Or just the 32mm mod?

Interesting it says "Off road race part". Hope it will pass a MOT.
I have the 32mm mod & tried a decat previously but hated the tin-can bugle effect!

Tomorrow morn

Yes I've heard they can just about pass (as long as it's a Thursday & with the wind blowing in the right direction)
We will check your emissions after you have fitted it, and don't bring the chair
Old 02-15-2013, 12:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 32mm mod & tried a decat previously but hated the tin-can bugle effect!

Tomorrow morn
You're just the man to compare and give feedback then If I can get the S2000 exhaust noise just right it would be a keeper for sure! 38mm mod on its on just doesn't cut it, but I don't want a horrible boomy aftermarket system. I could be speaking to GTS Chris.com on Monday.

If you can get a video that would be brilliant.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ch3tman
Originally Posted by sharksfinn' timestamp='1351277853' post='22110827
kw-21 nice one may give them a call two choices now both in ashford
Just need to find someone the other side of London now, i.e. Heathrow/Windsor side....
If you ever find someone let me know. Don't have a great deal of spare time atm and would love to get this done at some point.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by j8mie
Originally Posted by ch3tman' timestamp='1351335078' post='22112013
[quote name='sharksfinn' timestamp='1351277853' post='22110827']
kw-21 nice one may give them a call two choices now both in ashford
Just need to find someone the other side of London now, i.e. Heathrow/Windsor side....
If you ever find someone let me know. Don't have a great deal of spare time atm and would love to get this done at some point.
[/quote]
Still looking I'm afraid, 6 months on! Like yourself I've not had much time to really get it done but its certainly on the radar. Would be cool to get our Yellow S2000's done together - I see you're handy with the camera too.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SCZ4
Originally Posted by earl's_f20c' timestamp='1360962178' post='22340562

Tomorrow morn
You're just the man to compare and give feedback then If I can get the S2000 exhaust noise just right it would be a keeper for sure! 38mm mod on its on just doesn't cut it, but I don't want a horrible boomy aftermarket system. I could be speaking to GTS Chris.com on Monday.

If you can get a video that would be brilliant.
Quick update;
Berk high flow cat fitted this morn at Daytona so thanks to Ray for the use of the ramps and tools
Had a slight bit of bother getting it to leak check as the donut gasket end didn't seat properly thankfully Ray came to the rescue with another one. I then ground down the old gasket to make a spacing washer, seems ok with both in place

Emissions were read before (OEM) and after (Berk)
OEM
Name:  32044557038e3afff5bc0bd3d9463cf0.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  601.4 KB

Berk hi-flow
Name:  7aa60851ff6340c338d39c7cafca91ad.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  567.0 KB

So MOT will not be a problem in future, it outdid the OEM

Noise, well this is TBA as the drive back was on country roads (even the decat was acceptable in open countryside). Will let you know after a weeks commute in the city!
Initially though it seems much more acceptable than the test pipe, no bugle as of yet. Building reflections may change that though...

I'll get a mic set up this week and do a few commute runs
Old 02-16-2013, 08:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick update;
Berk high flow cat fitted this morn at Daytona so thanks to Ray for the use of the ramps and tools
Had a slight bit of bother getting it to leak check as the donut gasket end didn't seat properly thankfully Ray came to the rescue with another one. I then ground down the old gasket to make a spacing washer, seems ok with both in place

Noise, well this is TBA as the drive back was on country roads (even the decat was acceptable in open countryside). Will let you know after a weeks commute in the city!
Initially though it seems much more acceptable than the test pipe, no bugle as of yet. Building reflections may change that though...

I'll get a mic set update this week and do a few commute runs
Good results on the emmissions!

Forgetting about the decat, would you say it added more noise lower down the rev range over just the 32mm mod? Deeper or just louder? Any rasp?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by SCZ4
Originally Posted by earl's_f20c' timestamp='1361036605' post='22342109

Quick update;

I'll get a mic set update this week and do a few commute runs
Good results on the emmissions!

Forgetting about the decat, would you say it added more noise lower down the rev range over just the 32mm mod? Deeper or just louder? Any rasp?
The extra noise is more of a howl than a rasp if that makes sense?! And is only noticeable from 3k onwards, as I say town driving will be the real test. Definitely more refined than the decat though Low down I can still hear my PRM intake which I like to 'play' so that's good
Old 02-19-2013, 11:28 AM

Anyone running a 28mm mod with de-cat? I feel like picking one up and seeing what its like. Anyone any experience?
Old 02-19-2013, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Scottland
Anyone running a 28mm mod with de-cat? I feel like picking one up and seeing what its like. Anyone any experience?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WZSRfZE3SY

This is how loud a Berk Hi-flow cat is in a built up area, in combination with a 30mm mod' (and a PRM intake, Buddy Club header, no sound deadening).
Please excuse the poor recording quality, might give you an idea though. A straight through test-pipe is even louder!

And this is getting onto the start of the motorway private road on the way home...top down of course
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaYCmePrYeQ
Old 02-19-2013, 11:38 PM

My CAT is "high flow", although I think it was made in someone's shed by the looks of it And test pipes are significantly cheaper than the Berk or DMS high flow cats - hence why I fancied giving one a shot

Will definitely give it a listen next time I get chance to go to a meet though

Quick Reply: Exhaust mod