UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Exhaust mod

Old 09-09-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUZZ71
Does it sound better with a cat bypass pipe fitted with this exhaust mod..??? Also where the new pipe is being welded it should be welded to make the join as straight as possible to other part of exhaust as imo you causing possible back pressure issue,im only guess as the more bends in a exhaust the poorer the gas flow exiting the system....
That is subjective, personally I didn't ever like the way my car sounded when I had a decat, i sold it off and reverted to standard. If you are only guessing about back pressure issue why mention it or are you trying to ease your own concerns ?
Old 09-09-2012, 11:20 AM

Im just assuming that where the new pipe is being welded in that it could cause alot of turbulance in the exhaust gas and from my bike building days less bends in a exhaust the better gas flow equalls better performance...like i said if the new peice is welded so its a straight as possible To the bend then there would be less turbulance cause the exhaust gas is flowing with the bend before exiting the back box...This is only my opinion on where it is being welded not a critism,i read a thread on here about peeps wanted their cars to pop and bang which made me cringe as pops and bangs caused by over fuelling or even modding can cause premature life to the back box's and cause the baffles and exhaust packing to fail..

For a example you take two bit of pipe both same lenght but one is straight other has bends gas will flow faster from the straight pipe over a pipe with bends in it....Ive had experience of gas flowing and porting motorbike heads over the years to match inlets of bike exhaust on most of my mx and pit bikes ive run and built

Any spelling mistakes are down to my sausage fingers on my iphone
Old 09-09-2012, 11:29 AM

Im just assuming that where the new pipe is being welded in that it could cause alot of turbulance in the exhaust gas and from my bike building days less bends in a exhaust the better gas flow equalls better performance...like i said if the new peice is welded so its a straight as possible the the bend then there would be less turbulance cause the exhaust gas is flowing with the bend before exiting the back box...This is only my opinion on where it is being welded not a critism,i read a thread on here about peeps wanted their cars to pop and bang which made me cringe as pops and bangs caused by over fuelling or even modding can cause premature life to the back box's and cause the baffles and exhaust packing to fail..

For a example you take two bit of pipe both same lenght but one is straight other has bends gas will flow faster from the straight pipe over a pipe with bends in it....

Would definitely agree with you re the mods to pop and bang, plenty of those on view at JAE and yeah, cringeworthy just about sums it up .... not sure about the mod being categorised with this type of thing however, but there might be something in what you say, I am sure there will be a few types that will give you a discussion on it ... I don't know enough unfortunately
Old 09-09-2012, 11:32 AM

Just google it about less bends equalls better performing exhaust systems,might even explain on akrapovic exhaust site..???
Old 09-09-2012, 11:36 AM

The thing is, as with most of the power related mods on the s2000, you wouldn't notice the power difference (either positive or negative) anyway with this. It just sounds nice! I very much doubt it is harmful for the car, and it's certainly healthier to my wallet! Lol.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:45 AM

Totally agree it sound's Alot better and im all for cheap mods lol,i will be doing a air box on mine if i can track down a very cheap used air box as we used to get good results from stock air box's on mk2 gti air box's for induction noise and little gains in performance although you would'nt feel the gain in driving it would show on rolling road print outs
Old 09-09-2012, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by F3 ANG

Does it sound better with a cat bypass pipe fitted with this exhaust mod..??? Also where the new pipe is being welded it should be welded to make the join as straight as possible to other part of exhaust as imo you causing possible back pressure issue,im only guess as the more bends in a exhaust the poorer the gas flow exiting the system....

Im just assuming that where the new pipe is being welded in that it could cause alot of turbulance in the exhaust gas and from my bike building days less bends in a exhaust the better gas flow equalls better performance...like i said if the new peice is welded so its a straight as possible To the bend then there would be less turbulance cause the exhaust gas is flowing with the bend before exiting the back box...This is only my opinion on where it is being welded not a critism,i read a thread on here about peeps wanted their cars to pop and bang which made me cringe as pops and bangs caused by over fuelling or even modding can cause premature life to the back box's and cause the baffles and exhaust packing to fail..

For a example you take two bit of pipe both same lenght but one is straight other has bends gas will flow faster from the straight pipe over a pipe with bends in it....Ive had experience of gas flowing and porting motorbike heads over the years to match inlets of bike exhaust on most of my mx and pit bikes ive run and built

Just google it about less bends equalls better performing exhaust systems,might even explain on akrapovic exhaust site..???
I can't link the pic of a back box cut open that j8mie posted as it has vanished ,but as you can see on my mod we do weld the pipe's as straight as poss, and if you saw inside the box you would see how much back pressure it created, so the mod create's less back pressure, which leads us to? have we released to much, there's an argument for both side's, but at the end of the day it make's diddly squat difference, it just sounds better and it cost's next to nowt
Old 09-09-2012, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having heard S2k_Nut's exhaust at JAE, it's amazing what a difference a bit of pipe can make. Sounds bloody bloody lovely and if it wasn't for the weight of the OE system, I'd go back to OE with the mod for the sound of it.

Much nicer tone than any after market system I've heard yet.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:08 PM

If i can borrow mates welder and die grinder ill try this mod myself as my stock exhaust is looking quite scabby so it only a matter of time before it will need replacing....
Old 09-11-2012, 09:26 AM

It definitely won't cause more back pressure because the high pressure gas is in the exhaust pipe before the back box, the mod gives it a path of less resistance and hence the extra noise. The turbulence is negligible when you consider the route through the back box.

Don't think of the air like flowing water, this isn't aerodynamics its fluid mechanics, consider the system in terms of higher and lower pressure differences. If the objective was to squeeze every last drop of power out of the system then we'd better get the brasso out and start polishing everything shiny smooth hehe.

Mine modded exhaust is sat in the garden waiting for enthusiasm to overcome lazyness and fit the thing lol.

Quick Reply: Exhaust mod