UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Exhaust mod

Old 04-28-2012, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really don't think it sounds overly blowy! I just watched a video of an S with a stock everything with the camera positioned the same as in your video and the difference in sound is amazing! The stock system sounds blowy if you just rev it at a stand still and the mod'd one doesn't sound much different in that respect.

the difference is much more of a bass note to the exhaust in comparison to standard.

atleast thats what I think
Old 04-28-2012, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by AlexGJ248
Definately sounds better Ang, just waiting for my dad to buy some more gas so he can commense with the TIG welding!

Originally Posted by ross_gerry
I really don't think it sounds overly blowy! I just watched a video of an S with a stock everything with the camera positioned the same as in your video and the difference in sound is amazing! The stock system sounds blowy if you just rev it at a stand still and the mod'd one doesn't sound much different in that respect.

the difference is much more of a bass note to the exhaust in comparison to standard.

atleast thats what I think
i have to agree the oem sound has being my one big let down about my S over every other sports car i have owned, but i could not justify the cost of an after-market system when there is so many complaining about the dreaded drone, it's a lot of money to spend to find you can't live with it,
Old 04-28-2012, 10:27 PM

I totally agree f3 ang! This is why I'm doing the same as you tomorow morning. Unlike Ben, I'm going for in between yourself and him at 28mm. I do have a CAI so will have to try getting a mobile vid of before and after on idle, and revving whilst at standstill as it may sound different.

Many thanks to you though because the mod on the z4 forum is a bit more complex than yours (with the bends in the link pipe an 'all) but think this way probably suits the s2k much better.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by simonix
I totally agree f3 ang! This is why I'm doing the same as you tomorow morning. Unlike Ben, I'm going for in between yourself and him at 28mm. I do have a CAI so will have to try getting a mobile vid of before and after on idle, and revving whilst at standstill as it may sound different.

Many thanks to you though because the mod on the z4 forum is a bit more complex than yours (with the bends in the link pipe an 'all) but think this way probably suits the s2k much better.
It was oxhouser who found the Z4 mod and j8mie who posted the pic of a cut open box, which you could then see at a quick glance how it could be done, so the belongs to them,,,, it will be interesting to hear all three,
i know it's not a perfect sound but which exhaust is,i have heard some terrible system's which you know is going to make someone's ears bleed and some very nice sounding system's, and everyone will have there own opinion depending on what they have, but for the moment and cost this is OK, but my self if funds were there i like the sound of Garyb's and soundwave's i forgot the name , i think it's H something or other, i think i need to get hold of a oem rear section so i can have a play with another idea
Old 04-28-2012, 11:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the HKS Silent that Soundwave and myself have although I fancy a change. (I'm sooo easily bored )
Old 04-29-2012, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by GaryB
It's the HKS Silent that Soundwave and myself have although I fancy a change. (I'm sooo easily bored )
Cheers Gary i knew there was a H in it somewhere,

oooh that means there might be one up for sale soon then,,,come to think of it i might have seen a thread that you were thinking of having one of dixon's,
Old 04-29-2012, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by F3 ANG
Originally Posted by GaryB' timestamp='1335686171' post='21652649
Cheers Gary i knew there was a H in it somewhere,

oooh that means there might be one up for sale soon then,,,come to think of it i might have seen a thread that you were thinking of having one of dixon's,
Yep, when my hardtop sells.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by simonix
Sounds promising - look forward to your results/video!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry chet, this is the best i can do, at idle, then off down the street at morning pace then afternoon pace,
as you can hear at normal pace it isn't to obtrusive, this is with a 22mm link pipe, so will be interesting to hear
benb89's, do you think it sounds like it's blowing as has being suggested, only it's being bugging me,

My link
That sounds fantastic in all scenarios Ang, couldn't want much more from a slightly modified OEM exhaust system on a 4-pot engine. Many thanks for taking the plunge first for us all to see the benefits.

Looking forward to getting mine done!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by chet' timestamp='1335467081' post='21646160

Please do, one and idle and another stationary whilst revving, if possible please!
Sorry chet, this is the best i can do, at idle, then off down the street at morning pace then afternoon pace,
as you can hear at normal pace it isn't to obtrusive, this is with a 22mm link pipe, so will be interesting to hear
benb89's, do you think it sounds like it's blowing as has being suggested, only it's being bugging me,

My link
Just put my headphones on and listened to this - it sounds great. just what I was looking for. Not too loud, but still sounding nice. Thanks for being the first to try it out Ang. All I need now is a competent welder who has a bit of 22mm pipe. Anyone know anyone in Dorset/Hants I could try?

Quick Reply: Exhaust mod