UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

EVO Magazine ten best gearboxes

Old 03-24-2013, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO Magazine ten best gearboxes

First things first, I didn't choose to subscribe to EVO magazine, that was my Dad's doing in wanting to get me a Christmas present. It's a puzzling one because last year he got me CAR magazine which is a somewhat overlooked but extremely well written publication. Either way, EVO is what I have now!

So, pretty much like Autocar, EVO get all gooey when anything Porsche is mentioned and such is the horror that the new GT3 will have only PDK as its ratio swapping method, after the interview with Mr GT3 Bloke, we move onto an interesting article regarding manual boxes.

I grew up with manual boxes and thanks to a humongous ego combined with the worst handling slowest car of all time, I had to get good at making the most of what I had which included using that gearbox for everything it could offer. It was during this time I began heel & toe'ing without having a clue what it was or having seen it anywhere else - I did it because it allowed me to dump the car into a lower gear and unleash all 60bhp through the front wheels trying to eek out all performance possible.

And because of that, it became true that my left hand was substantially better than my right hand at manipulating a knobbed rod

I have been rather fortunate to drive many a car in anger and changing gear just makes you feel like a hero, especially when you blip, downchange, and then bury the throttle for an overtake! So in regards to the overall conclusion of the EVO article, yes the exclusion of manual boxes is a massive loss....except for the demographic who will end up buying the GT3s of the future because the talent they seem to posses is generally average (I haven't ever seen one being driven to even what I'd class as 7/10ths of it's potential).

Don't get me wrong dual clutch boxes are VERY clever and even prevented me from being a bit click happy with downshifting this preventing me doing a 'Hales' in my mates Golf GTi Edition 30!

So the article also covered the 'Top 10 Best Manual gearboxes' and absolutely no mention of the S2000. I would say I'm surprised, but this would buck a trend of Autocar/EVO having no time for the car.

Out of the list of car I have driven:

Pug 205GTi
Honda DC2 ITR
Ford RS1600 (Whilst this isn't true I have used Type E boxes and the Westy has a similar Type 9)
Mitsi Evo VI (Well, Evo IV RS and Evo V - they had the same box)

They all have good shifts (Although the Pug....maybe it was a worn linkage) but the Aisin box in the S2000 is better than all of these and by some way.

I think a lot of it has to do with the seating position in the S, but either way people band the cliché 'Rifle Bolt'. Personally, I haven't used many bolt action rifles so I can't make reference, but I do know that it slick fast and precise. It had to be because of the nature of the engine, but the fact that it was mitigated the again clichéd 'lack of torque' comments fired at the car. It certainly made you feel hero'esque whether going up or coming down the ratios.

I don't think it's the best part of the car, but it's perhaps one of the most involving parts that brings a smile that only a small flick of the wrist can!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:09 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Nick's list of the ten best car magazines:

Great avatar BTW!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tits titys boobs breasts what did you say again ????
Old 03-24-2013, 11:49 AM

Received 652 Likes on 567 Posts

I read Evo(il) but I agree with Nick.

And I can't stand the new ed, he's a right cock

Oh and fwiw I completely agree, the S2 box is benchmark IMO
Old 03-24-2013, 02:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitesurfer s2000
this was like reading my own thoughts!
Old 03-24-2013, 02:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus

Pug 205GTi

They all have good shifts (Although the Pug....maybe it was a worn linkage) but the Aisin box in the S2000 is better than all of these and by some way.
I has 3 x 205GTi Pugs and a 309GTi, none of them had great gearboxes, the first gen 16v Clio was a lot better.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by eSeM
Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus' timestamp='1364148707' post='22425048

Pug 205GTi

I has 3 x 205GTi Pugs and a 309GTi, none of them had great gearboxes, the first gen 16v Clio was a lot better.

I agree,my misses had a 205gti and the gearbox was dreadfull,I have always thought the r 5 gtt gearboxes were pretty decent(I'm sure they are very similar to the Clio 16v g/box)
Old 03-24-2013, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Floppy
Originally Posted by Kitesurfer s2000' timestamp='1364153915' post='22425184
this was like reading my own thoughts!
Old 03-25-2013, 03:07 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Nice thighs & a cute face too.

Oh - that sort of gearbox; I thought the Pugs were OK. Until you try a Honda...

Since today's (apparently technically inept) hacks merely recycle stuff from Autonews, Press Releases & ToV (when they're not banging on about little JoshuaTree and Chlamydia's viewpoints on the car, as if that's of any import) I really don't see the point of paying for info that's probably way out of date by then.

Plus their obviously sycophantic bias towards companies with the biggest advertising budget makes their ramblings questionable at best.