UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

EVO Magazine Sept 06

Old 08-01-2006, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusoe,Aug 1 2006, 10:01 AM
and Harry's just bought a Zonda S for a long termer
I know Evo is supposed to be all about "the drill of driving" and so on, but I can't help but feel that it's losing its way a bit of late. For the average man in the street, it's interesting to read about supercars but they have no real relevance to him.

The Fast Fleet has turned into a bit of a supercar w*nkfest recently. OK, you can just about make a case for Harry Metcalfe's just-departed 550 and, at a push, the AMV8 that Tony Bailey (?) runs. But how many of us are ever going to get the chance to run a Murcielago, a Carrera GT or now a Zonda S? Very very few.

That's not to say that it's not interesting to read, especially the eye-watering running costs that these things seem to have, but I can't help but think that the mag has subtlely changed its brief since it started. I suspect it's because they've become a lot more "establishment" as readership has increased and they are offered all the latest toys to drive by the manufacturers' PR departments.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:18 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusoe,Aug 1 2006, 10:01 AM
and Harry's just bought a Zonda S for a long termer

not interested in a long term zonda at all. Way too much top end machinery in that magazine already. What with an existing lambo as one long termer, the 550 as another and now a zonda, it makes you wonder where the focus is for the magazine. Gives the impression that its car's for the boys.

Plus if they can afford a zonda long term, they're charging way too much for subscription.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:32 AM

they've got a astra vxr, focus st, brabus smart for four, fiesta st, hyundai coupe, golf gti, old 911 just sold and probably expect a clio 197 soon as they've had all the other small renaults. Hardly lacking in lower range machinery
Old 08-01-2006, 03:42 AM

It does seem a bit pointless though - the real justification for long termers is for a magazine to run cars that a significant number of their readers might run, so the readers can find out in advance about the costs / reliability issues etc.

How many evo readers are going to buy Zondas???? 2 or 3 maybe? If so, they can doubtless afford all running costs that may arise anyway.

Clearly just a case of Harry using the mag as an excuse to buy himself a f**k off expensive hypercar.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by AlexC,Aug 1 2006, 11:42 AM
It does seem a bit pointless though - the real justification for long termers is for a magazine to run cars that a significant number of their readers might run, so the readers can find out in advance about the costs / reliability issues etc.

How many evo readers are going to buy Zondas???? 2 or 3 maybe? If so, they can doubtless afford all running costs that may arise anyway.

Clearly just a case of Harry using the mag as an excuse to buy himself a f**k off expensive hypercar.
Conversely, how many Ego staffers are going to run something the hoi polloi can afford if they're offered a concession on a Zonda/Lamborghini etc?

They lost their way a long time ago for me, self aggrandisement and their flowery prose put me off the magazine years ago - as popularity has risen, the magazine seems to be alienating more and more of it's readership in the same way.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by MarkB,Aug 1 2006, 11:58 AM
They lost their way a long time ago for me
But sadly, for the monthly performance oriented mags, not sure they have much competition - CAR is ok, TG is worse than the TV show, what else is there?
Old 08-01-2006, 04:27 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlexC,Aug 1 2006, 01:26 PM
But sadly, for the monthly performance oriented mags, not sure they have much competition - CAR is ok, TG is worse than the TV show, what else is there?
Classic Car for you
Old 08-01-2006, 04:37 AM

I bought TG at the airport last week and it was bloody awful. I subscribed for a few years when it started and it used to be a good magazine. These days it's not far away from Max Power. I'd rate it as "The Sun" of car magazines now
Old 08-01-2006, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by RichUK,Aug 1 2006, 12:27 PM
Classic Car for you
Not a bad idea Rich - especially now they've stopped making mine
Old 08-01-2006, 04:52 AM

Imagine my surprise when have got me feet up on me huge sofa and idly watching me huge telly and pick up me copy of Evo which i got from Xcel Motorshow and start to flick through and it opens onto a piccie of Dave and his S and a Red S how totally

I was impressed

Quick Reply: EVO Magazine Sept 06