UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

EVO get S2000 long termer

Old 08-03-2004, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by san2000,Aug 3 2004, 11:19 AM
Do the comments about changing gear while overtaking not apply to the specific situation?

And wouldn't there be situations in torquier cars where you would have to change gear while overtaking?

You just need to be alert when driving and plan the manoeuvre properly.
Of course, but on the roads I drive on up here in Scotland at this time of year, the majority of drivers are pootling along at 40 - 50 mph on NSL roads looking at the scenery. If they are doing 40, then I'll use 2nd, but if its 50, then I only have about 1200rpm left before the red line, so that means changing up before I've passed their wing mirror. If I use 3rd then there is a slight pause before VTEC engages and off I go.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i use my s as a daily driver and love it. i couldn't cope with driving a normal car day in day out. i look forward to drive to and from work each day. that's why i can't bring myself to get a beater as i know how much i would hate it.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by lower,Aug 3 2004, 12:09 PM
i use my s as a daily driver and love it. i couldn't cope with driving a normal car day in day out. i look forward to drive to and from work each day. that's why i can't bring myself to get a beater as i know how much i would hate it.

No probs from my point of view about long distance driving.
However, this IS the reason I need to get a beater......too much money being thrown at fuel and the rest.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by douglasr,Aug 3 2004, 12:05 PM
Of course, but on the roads I drive on up here in Scotland at this time of year, the majority of drivers are pootling along at 40 - 50 mph on NSL roads looking at the scenery. If they are doing 40, then I'll use 2nd, but if its 50, then I only have about 1200rpm left before the red line, so that means changing up before I've passed their wing mirror. If I use 3rd then there is a slight pause before VTEC engages and off I go.
That's the problem area - overtaking on an NSL road, you need to get past cars doing 40-50. To do this quickly you need to go from 40ish to 70ish, which falls across 2 gears, 2nd and 3rd. Until you learn the note of the engine it's difficult to change at the redline without looking down at the tacho, not really what you want to be doing when you're on the wrong side of the road, but as Moggy says, it's a car you learn, and to many (including me), thats why it's so much fun.

I use mine as a daily driver, but there are days, especially in the cold and wet when a nice warm, soft, comfy cruiser wouldn't be a bad proposition. Having said that, I chose the S2000 over the Elise because it can be used everyday, whereas I really couldn't live with the Elise daily.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper,Aug 3 2004, 12:58 PM
Heres a cutting statement. A cutting statement from me? Never....

I could NOT use my S as a daily driver, no way, it`d piss me off.
ahh I think I didn't explain that very well.

When I mean not "a to b" is that the majority of people drive just to get from a to b. They don't see driving as enjoyment. Thus for these types of people the S is not for them.

Most on this board,I would think, see driving as enjoyable-so we want some pleasure of getting from a to b.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I meant using it every day, the daily S is not my combo. Its great going from A to B, as long as A is my garage and B is my garage again.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:53 AM

[QUOTE=douglasr,Aug 2 2004, 09:40 PM]inmho, 2nd gear in the S2000 is too tall - its runs out at 62 iirc, this is so the car gets a better 0-60 time (1 less change = 0.4 seconds or so).
Old 08-03-2004, 09:03 AM

Shockingly I have to agree with Carper here.

I think the S is a fab car, bags of fun on tap, but I commute in a scorpio.

The S is too loud on the motorway, too bouncy changing gear at low speed in traffic, terrible at stop start driving, Hell on wheels on cobblestones and a target for every Mobile speedtrap and traffic warden in the city.

I take the S into work once a week to remind myself why I don't.

The Scorpio on the other hand, smooth on motorways, Automatic so stop start driving is fine, smooth over cobblestones, Traffic wardens and Speed traps generally ignore it in favour of the guy in the red CTR

The only place the S2000 has it beat as a daily driver is in parking the thing.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:15 AM

Guys I have to disagree. My S is my daily drive and I don't find any of the problems you suggest

Saying that, my commute is only about 50 miles/week. But have no probs with noise on motorway or urban driving.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:19 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I am fortunate that I don't have to commute. The shit one has to contend with these days, I'd want a Harrier with live missiles.

I am more than happy to do any journey in the S2K, there is a hint of apprehension as every time nears the car. I often change out of second at the redline, whether it's necessary or not. I am disappointed a little if I must put the roof up.

Yes it gets irritable in traffic, but so do I!

Personally I find the S2K is more addictive than nicotine, and I still have the occasional roll-up!

"Car" used to be a truly brilliant magazine, before it was taken over by the "Style Wankers" several years ago. It is still the only properly written motor magazine, but I cannot be bothered with it any more.

Quick Reply: EVO get S2000 long termer